Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old August 27th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Update about Screen Savers in Windows 10

I had made a earlier post about problems with my screen savers not working.
I have since discovered that in my case the problem was external devices plugged into USB 2.0 ports I discovered that the driver and software for three of my devices were not windows 10 compatible. Basically what I did was to unplug everything except for my wireless mouse/keyboard combo since I knew I had updated the software to a windows 10 version and sure enough the screen savers started working. One of the problems turned out to be the software that I was using to monitor my Battery back up by APC. And the other problem is my Cessna Pro Flight Yoke by SAITEK. My rudder peddles by CH products were also a problem But They finally released a driver for windows 10.
Anyone that uses a batter backup and is using PowerChute to monitor it needs to uninstall it and that will solve the problem of the screen savers not working.
The strangest thing about all of this is the fact that the device manager never showed a problem with any of these devices and one would think that it should.
So my advice is that if you are having problems with your system not going to sleep or the screen savers not working than you need to check out any and all devices that plug into your system using USB
One other thing I had gone through every device on my device monitor and checked to make sure that the box for the device to wake the computer was not checked.
Bottom line is that after all of that I had to unplug and uninstall the software for the two devices in order to get everything back to normal
Old August 28th, 2015, 04:54 PM

Well I am a bit confused on 2 points. First, how do you get to the Screen Saver menu? The only way I can find is to go through Search. I cannot get there through Control Panel applets which seems odd to me. So something is missing and I hope it is not a couple marbles in the my head.

The second confusing point is your comments about PowerChute. I too use and APC UPS and PowerChute and I just enabled ScreenSaver, set it to 1 minute and walked away. When I cam back, the ScreenSaver was on, working as expected. Wiggled the mouse and I was back at my desktop, again as expected. So I don't see it being a PowerChute issue.
Old August 28th, 2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Well I am a bit confused on 2 points. First, how do you get to the Screen Saver menu? The only way I can find is to go through Search. I cannot get there through Control Panel applets which seems odd to me. So something is missing and I hope it is not a couple marbles in the my head.

The second confusing point is your comments about PowerChute. I too use and APC UPS and PowerChute and I just enabled ScreenSaver, set it to 1 minute and walked away. When I cam back, the ScreenSaver was on, working as expected. Wiggled the mouse and I was back at my desktop, again as expected. So I don't see it being a PowerChute issue.
You are talking about windows 10 right?
You can get to the screen savers a couple of ways
One way is just right click your mouse with the arrow anywhere except on the task bar and then highlight personalize than click on Lock Screen than scroll down to screen savers
The other way is to click on the notification in the far right hand corner of the task bar and than click on settings than on personalize than lock screen and scroll down to screen savers
As for Powerchute this is the personal edition I am talking about, and until I unplugged my battery back up my screen savers would not come on and Power chute is the software it uses.So it is logical to assume that it is the reason.
I went to APC to download the latest version of Power Chute and noticed it is not for windows 10. I sent them a email about that fact and they told me that they were aware of the problem and was working on a updated version of PowerChute personal edition.
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:57 PM

Oh wow. Sorry. I did not realize my Settings > Personalization screen was just a tad taller than my monitor display and Screen saver settings was off the screen. I need to pay more attention to the scroll bars! lol

Thanks.

Yes, PowerChute Personal Edition 3.0.2.

Again it works fine here so it must only affect some users. Where do you have the USB cable connected? If in a USB 3.0 port, you might try a USB 2.0.

You might also try uninstalling PowerChute and reinstalling if you did not do that already after installing W10. I didn't reinstall it after the upgrade. W10 brought it over from W8.1 with no problems.
Old August 29th, 2015, 02:28 PM

That was the version I had installed. Now I had windows 8.1 before I switched over to 10 But I do not see where that would make a difference but who knows.
APC told me that they are working on a update for it so for now I will leave it unplugged.
Old August 29th, 2015, 03:08 PM

Well, let's hope they come out with something soon but I do think you should look into the USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0 issue I raised and perhaps uninstalling PowerChute, rebooting, then reinstalling just to see if that helps. The different USB ports are commonly associated with problems with attached devices (in spite of the fact USB versions are supposed to be forwards and backwards compatible). So changing from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 often fixes problems with USB 2.0 devices - which the UPS is. And uninstalling and reinstalling hardware related software often fixes hardware related problems too.

The good news is, you don't need the communications cable to benefit from the connected UPS. You just will not get an automatic "graceful" shutdown of Windows and your computer if running during an extended power outage.

Again, if it did not work perfectly for me (on two different W10 computers with two different APC UPS, btw), then I would just say to wait for APC to come out with a new version. But since it works for me, I think it worth a try.