Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:41 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
can I transfer my win7 home license to my new pc?

My "new" Dell has Win 7 Pro, which is fine, but it doesn't have the Aero feature and nothing I try turns it on. My old pc has Win7 Home and Aero works fine. I'm thinking I'm going to put Linux on the old one. Can I transfer the Win 7 Home license to my Dell?
Thanks
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:53 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Aero troubleshooter:

1. Click Start, type aero in the Start Search box, and then click Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects.
2. A wizard window opens. Click Advanced if you want the problem fixed automatically, and then click Next to continue.
3. If the problem is automatically fixed, the window borders are translucent.

If the problem is not fixed or if you want to see the details, click View detailed information to see a report.

Note To use Aero, you must meet the following requirements:

· You have to rate your computer first (Windows Experience Index).
· Your computer must have DirectX 9.0 or a later version installed. Or, your computer must have WDDM 1.0 or a later version installed.
· Aero is not available in Windows 7 Home Basic.

To answer your question.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

Must be taken off then reinstalled.
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Aero troubleshooter:

1. Click Start, type aero in the Start Search box, and then click Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects.
2. A wizard window opens. Click Advanced if you want the problem fixed automatically, and then click Next to continue.
This is the first thing I tried, about a week ago. It says Desktop Window Manager is disabled but in fact it's running and on auto. It may be noteworthy that even though I checked "fix automatically" it didn't show it to be fixed.
Quote:
Note To use Aero, you must meet the following requirements:

· You have to rate your computer first (Windows Experience Index).
Desktop performance for Windows Aero =6.6.
Quote:
· Your computer must have DirectX 9.0 or a later version installed. Or, your computer must have WDDM 1.0 or a later version installed.
I have DirectX 11 and WDDM 1.1.
·
Quote:

To answer your question.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

Must be taken off then reinstalled.
People have reported many MANY reasons for Aero not working, and many ways of getting it to work again. I've tried about all of them that I've found. That's why I was willing to go back to Win 7 Home premium.
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:22 AM

About taking it off and reinstalling, my version of Home is OEM on my old pc. In order to reinstall it I use the re-install disks I made when it was new. I'm wondering about validating it if I install it on a different pc.
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by jLittle View Post
My "new" Dell has Win 7 Pro, which is fine, but it doesn't have the Aero feature and nothing I try turns it on. My old pc has Win7 Home and Aero works fine. I'm thinking I'm going to put Linux on the old one. Can I transfer the Win 7 Home license to my Dell?
Thanks
You cannot transfer the oem win7 license to the other computer. It would be a violation of microsofts eula.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:11 AM

Looks like it's a moot point. I borrowed a Win 7 Ultimate disk and installed it on a second physical HD and Aero still didn't work. I'm guessing it's something in the pc itself (BIOS or mb).
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You cannot transfer the oem win7 license to the other computer. It would be a violation of microsofts eula.
Dan is 100% correct. And note you agreed to abide to the terms of that EULA when you decided to keep using that Windows license on that old machine. Thus, that agreement is legally binding.

If your new Dell came with W7 preinstalled, AERO should work. See this.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
If your new Dell came with W7 preinstalled, AERO should work.
Yep.
Quote:
See this.
I checked out this thread and I even tried the registry change that so many people said worked, but since I did a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate and Aero still didn't work, it really seems unlikely that changing anything in Windows is going to bring Aero to life.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:44 PM

Well, AERO did not prove to be the exciting graphics experience for most users as Microsoft wanted - that's why most AERO features are not included in W8 or W10.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:24 PM

I don't really care about exciting graphics experiences. I found Aero to be extremely useful and practical on a daily basis. That's why I've put so much effort in to trying to get it to work.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 12:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can search for third party tools if you want aero features. I cannot recommend cany but you can find them with a simple search.
Old November 1st, 2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
you can search for third party tools if you want aero features. I cannot recommend cany but you can find them with a simple search.
I've learned that what I really want is Aero Peek. I don't care about the rest of Aero, and none of the third-party tools I've found seem to be about Peek.
But I did find someone recommending virtual desktops as a way to get the Peek behavior, and I just can't see that at all. I've checked out several articles about virtual desktops and can't see a connection between them and the behavior or Aero Peek. Can you?