Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old December 10th, 2019, 11:15 PM

Backup method? Just the user account, image the drive, clone it??

Hello.

I'm going to be creating a backup plan for a friend's W10 desktop computer computer. The backup will be stored on an external drive, that will only be connected when the info is backed up (due to ransomware).

I can't decide if the backup should be just the user account, an image, or a clone.

My big concern is when the time comes to replace the computer. If I image or clone, what are the chances that the backup will deploy correctly on completely different hardware? If it doesn't then a clone is ok as I can easily access the user account files. If it's a disk image though, I'd have to cross my fingers and hope that I can extract the image to view the personal files.

On the other hand, I could just utilize periodic backups of the user account files, and at least I know for sure that those files can be accessed when needed. I would of course have to install W10 and third party programs though.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cybertech1; December 10th, 2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old December 11th, 2019, 02:56 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

I've used EaseUS Todo Backup (the free version), and it''l probably do everything you want. You can add cloud backup for redundancy, if it's really important crap you're saving.

There's also Cobian Backup from CobianSoft. Not quite as user-friendly, but pretty good in it's own right. Free, too. Yes, I'm cheap. So what.
Old December 11th, 2019, 03:52 AM

Thanks for the reply zipulrich.

My main concern is having a compressed image or clone that won't deploy on a new computer due to the major hardware change. That's why I'm wondering if I should take the safe method and only back up the user account files.
Old August 14th, 2020, 02:51 PM

EaseUS Todo Backup is good but i am using advance disk recovery for my windows 10. I know that name is not popular but if we are not using it then how can i justify it and review it. I quite happy with performance. apart from this you can like recover your delete data so quickly than ever. Download from the web.