Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:32 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Excel 2010 - How to unprotected a workbook

I have been working on a directory in Excel 2010. I have more than one version (more than one workbook file) of the directory. The way things are organized vary by version. I password protected one of the files. I now would like to remove this password protection. I know, of course, the password and can open the file but, for the life of me, I cannot find how to remove the protection. As I recall, this was not so difficult in earlier versions of Excel. I have found several answers on the internet but none of them work.

HP P6716f w/ 6 GB RAM, 1 TB Hitachi hard drive, external 1 TB Seagate GoFlex (which is not always turned on), Windows Home Premium, Office 2010 Professional Academic (same as Professional but the price is much better for students)
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:33 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Open document
Under Review tab, in the Changes group click Unprotect Sheet
If prompted type the password to unprotect the worksheet
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:40 PM

Thank you. That's the problem. I do not have a "Unprotect Sheet". In the changes group I have, Protect Sheet, Protect Workbook, Share Workbook, and then a list which includes Protect and Share Workbook, Allow Users to Edit Ranges and Track Changes. I meant to include in my original posting that I have save the files-workbooks in xls format so that other users (such as my wife) with Office 2003 can readily use them. I have tried saving the file in the 2010 format of xlsx but that has not changed anything. I also explored add commands to the ribbon, etc. but did not get anywhere.
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:21 AM

For Office 2003;

Click "File" on the toolbar and then select "Open." Navigate to folder that contains the protected spreadsheet. Click one time to select the file, and then click the "Open" button.

Select the "Tools" option on the toolbar and then selection "Protection" and then "Unprotect Worksheet."

Enter the file's password if prompted to do so.
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Thanks much for your helpful efforts. Nothing seemed to work. I took the file downstairs to where I have my old xp computer setup. I thought that I should be able to unprotect it easily enough in Excel 2003. I had the same problem as I was having in Office 2010. I tried a bunch of things and nothing was working and then suddenly I got to the dialog box to unprotect the file. Good news is that it is now unprotected. Bad news is that I don't know how I did it Oh well. I may work on that again sometime when I have a lot of time to spend (which will not be right away because my Spanish class at Winthrop University, reading, little projects around the house and just kicking back kind of fill up my time).
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM

That happened to me, and can't figure out why, as normally you would unprotect as earlier posted. If I can figure it out will post.,
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:26 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
i had this problem a long time ago and can only vaguely remember what i did to fix it,
but it goes something like this ...
- open the file
- on the File Menu, click save as
- input a different file name, Enter
- you should get a prompt to keep password, click No or whatever
- delete the original file and rename the newly saved one to the original name

good luck !
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:48 PM

No, that would be too easy a crack for passwords and it doesn't work. There is no prompt about keeping or discarding the password and the password attribute is included as part of the newly named file.
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:16 AM

Excel 2010 - How to unprotected a workbook

hi
don't worry
You can unprotect your excel workbook without any problem . Use PDS Excel 2010 password recovery software and finally unprotect Excel workbook.............

Last edited by smurfy; April 19th, 2014 at 03:18 AM. Reason: www.excel2010passwordrecovery.com removed
Old February 17th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Why would anyone pay for software to unprotect a document. As a new member, will give you the benefit. Posting links to products that you buy , as the only way to resolve a problem, is considered "SPAM" and in violation of the TOS you agreed too when signing in to this forum. You are welcome here to help members fix computers. If you continue just posting links to other products that may help, where it may appear that you benefit from, your post will be deleted.
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM

As I said in my original post, I know the password.
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM

Murf, I am putting this in as a reply to your last post on this thread so hopefully you will receive a notice on it. Because of the reply to this thread at 5:16 this morning, I was reviewing the thread and it dawned on me how to unprotect a worksheet. It is as simple as can be if you know the password.

Open the file using the password. Do a "File - Save As". In the save dialog box in Excel 2010, there is a "Tools" option"; click this and select "General Options". In the dialog box the password "mask" will show if the file is protected. Simply remove the mask and click "OK" then "Save". If you have not changed the file name or location you will be asked if you want to replace the file.
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the update, glad you figured it out.
Closed Topic