Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
all taskbar icons missing

Would you help me?

What I've done to help myself:

Before posting here, I went through as many steps steps as possible, of those AnnMarie listed in "slow computer?". I skipped steps 6 & 4 because (6) the computer I'm having problems with is currently set to boot up in selective startup mode, and (4) I was short on hard drive space, so I didn't defrag until this morning -- 45 days after the previous defragging -- after my problem had developed.

How the problem began:
I have three computers using the internet at my home. Last night, the laptop couldn't access the internet. After ensuring the problem wasn't due to firewall, I contacted the ISP, who determined my ME desktop (physically connected to the router and modem; not sure that matters) was unable to send out to the internet. We tried a system restore, but it wouldn't reboot when done. I then asked why the laptop, which operates off the wireless network, should also be unable to access the internet. The ISP's help desk guy then had me reset my router, and eventually we got laptop internet access. He told me to (1) shut the ME desktop off manually, then turned it back on (when I did so, this morning, I got a window saying restore had succeeded); and (2) re-establish my wireless network's security.

How the problem worsened:
Before I could do that this AM, my son told me the laptop couldn't access the internet. When I looked at it, I also noticed the small icons normally showing in the bottom right side of the screen (I think they're called system or taskbar icons) were all missing (not just the volume or battery icons). And, the font on the top of my start menu had changed.

How I tried to solve it:
I rebooted, and was told, after closing the system configuration utility window, "An access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified change".

I then tried a system restore, and was told "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again." When I did that, I was told System Restore had ben turned off (once I'd used too much of my hard drive space?). I said to turn System Restore back on, then unchecked the "Turn off system restore" box, then hit apply, then ok.

I then removed a few programs, to get me enough space to defrag. While trying to remove one, I got, 'Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Summary:
Can you help me get back my right side taskbar icons (those on the left remain, but I can't access the "wireless network connection" icon to see if I am connected) and access the internet?

Thanks!
Old March 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM

This link is pretty detailed and has helped. I would read the section on disabling upnp not pnp!!

http://winhlp.com/node/16
ME is a strange little OS full of intermittent and erroneous problems.
Hope this helps and again hope you have back ups the last gem I use when ever it gets real bad is Steve Gibsons Spinrite from GRC has saved many a hard drive and data for me well worth the price absolutely fantastic.
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:48 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hello, please try the following :
  1. Please clear all the unneccessary dump files by using, CCleaner.
  2. Defragment your hard drive (please skip this step if it has already been done).
  3. Reboot into safe mode and open up the command prompt and type sfc /scannow to check if you have all the necessary system files.
  4. If it returns an error, try repairing your system with the Windows XP CD you got with the laptop.
    Further information can be read here/.

Note : Please backup all important documents and media files. This will erase the existing files in the computer.
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:08 PM

Derekk,

Thanks for your reply. My difficulty accessing the internet slowed my response (I'm now using a different computer). Just to clarify:

It was my ME desktop that started the problem (rebooting the ME desktop got it back to regular working order), but it is my XP laptop that continues to have a problem. Do you think doing these things to the ME desktop will help fix the XP laptop, as the ME desktop is wired to the router which the XP laptop should (but currently can't) use to access the internet?

John
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM

Cyberpunk,

Thanks for replying. My difficulty with internet access (I'm using a different computer currently) slowed my response.

Here's my first reaction (I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing, as I have YEARS of work on this laptop, and don't currently have an external drive I can move files to) to each of the four steps you gave me:

1) I doubt I can use my laptop to access the internet (where I presume CCleaner is located). But, I used ATF cleaner (within 2 before the problem emerged), which I hope is similar. Let me know if I need to run CCleaner? If so, I can try a wired connection.

2) I defragged hours after first noticing problmes on the laptop.

3) Is there a list I would compare the output from step 3 to, in order to know whether what I have is complete?

4) I read the link, but can't tell whether this only repairs my system, or returns it to factory fresh condition (erases all "My Documents"). Let me know?

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I was told System Restore had ben turned off (once I'd used too much of my hard drive space?).
Is your laptop hard drive almost completely full?
Can the other computers in the network still see your laptop and can they still share and swap files?
Do you have a cd or dvd burner on the laptop?

Last edited by derekk; March 31st, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekk View Post
Is your laptop hard drive almost completely full? It had less than 5 of 75 GB free when the problem developed. Then I freed enough to have over 12 GB free, then defragged, but the problem remains and the laptop won't let me use system restore.

Can the other computers in the network still see your laptop and can they still share and swap files? I don't think so. Using an XP desktop, I clicked on My Network Places, then "View workgroup computers", and my desktop was there, but the laptop wan't there. I am pretty sure it used to be. I then clicked on "Show icons for networked uPNP devices", which launched a wizard that opened a firewall port. That sounds dangerous, and it also failed to show my laptop. Would you tell me how to undo it?

When I tried to use my laptop to view Workgroup computers, my lapptop was unable to even see itself.

Do you have a cd or dvd burner on the laptop?
I have a Toshiba Satellite aA105-S2071. Per this listing (it's no longer on Toshiba's website, less than 2 years after I bought it -- oh well, technology marches on) -- http://<font color="Blue">http://www...d=82124</font> -- it IS able to burn CDs/DVDs, though I've never tried.

Let me know what you recommend next?
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:11 PM

well even if you had a usb port u could get a 4 or 8 gb memory stick and dump the vital data there
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:57 PM

Even if I need to buy an external hard drive, or use my memory stick repeatedly, I will get the files off the laptop if called for.

But, you're back to talking about the laptop. I sort of thought you were talkng re the desktop, and Cyberpunk was addressing the laptop.

Let me know where we're at? Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
as I have YEARS of work on this laptop
I go by priorities first and since you stated this. back up your files before you try anything else on either computer. So dump to a memory stick or external HD. Then we can address the other issues.
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:32 PM

What do I need to save? I know everything in My Documents (where I keep my excel, word, powerpoint), My Pictures (where I keep my pictures), and Program Files. But that only accounts for 56 of my of the 62GB on my Hard Drive. Windows is 4G, but there's another 3G of miscellaneous stuff. For example, what about things whereon I have a 1-yr license? Can I copy that to an external drive, then copy it back to my hard drive & still use it?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM

I tried using a google group to save my stuff, then found you need to load one file at a time. Given I have 19,000+ files (sounds too high to be accurate, but ...), I'll be buying an external hard drive. Any suggestions re better/worse brands or technologies?

Last edited by JFH234; April 2nd, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Since you said the laptop has a CD/DVD burner, it would be easier to burn the files you want to keep to CD or DVD.

To burn to CD, just right click the folder or file you want to backup and in the menu that opens, point at Send To and in the menu that opens, left click the CD/DVD drive.

Once you have everything "sent to" (it just makes a shortcut, it doesn't actually send the file) to the burner, open My Computer, open the CD drive and click on "Write these files to disk" (or whatever the wording is..it's been a while so I'm working from memory).

If you have too much data to fit on a CD, burn it to DVD. There should be a program on the Start Menu for making DVDs.

It's pointless to back up the Program Files folder. Programs can't be copied over, they'll have to be reinstalled.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:09 PM

Miz,

Your reply was fast & clear. Thanks so much!

John