Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM

godaddy.com web design tools

since i registered my domain name at godaddy, do they have good web design tools for a beginner to use?

is godaddy's web makeing tools as good or ez too use as other site designers?

ive made a couple sites on geocites, but thats all ive used and geocities isent what i want to keep using.
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Their site-building features are listed here. Personally, I wouldn't be buying hosting/domain if I were just going to use site builders. It hardly seems worth it.
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM

why not ?
all ive used so far is geocities.
i made it as simple as i could.

what other methods are better ?
and as easy, i havent learned alot about makeing a site yet.
i did look over HTML type makeing... but that seems to be alot more work and reading for about the same thing a site builder does.

im makeing a site to show people the art that i sell at festivals and musical events.
i sell nice art prints and shirts, along with other stuff.

im using a few differnt artists from the appalacian mts, and would like to post info about them, updates on what each is doing, and show various art forms they each do.

also, id like all our contact info and all that.

i dont know why its not worth it if i use a site builder, i can do all that i need using one.. even though i dont like alot about geocities... im sure theres cooler ones out there i dont know about yet.

i belive if i knew more i could make a better looking more professional site, but hey, im just starting and have limited time in learning all this, even tho its important i do !!! im going to keep it simple if i can. a little eye attention is ok... to keep people friendly with coming back to my site.
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionbanjo View Post
and as easy, i havent learned alot about makeing a site yet.
i did look over HTML type makeing... but that seems to be alot more work and reading for about the same thing a site builder does.

im makeing a site to show people the art that i sell at festivals and musical events.

im using a few differnt artists from the appalacian mts, and would like to post info about them, updates on what each is doing, and show various art forms they each do.
Case in point: A site builder site won't look professional. No, they don't provide the same thing that proper coding does. Also, what you're wanting would suit more a content management system than a static site. You will notice the difference of course, when you start having to constantly manually edit things just to add some new small item like an image or information. And then it becomes unmanageable. Which goes back to the first point, visitors will notice that the site isn't managed properly and will look unprofessional.
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle128 View Post
Case in point: A site builder site won't look professional. No, they don't provide the same thing that proper coding does. Also, what you're wanting would suit more a content management system than a static site. You will notice the difference of course, when you start having to constantly manually edit things just to add some new small item like an image or information. And then it becomes unmanageable. Which goes back to the first point, visitors will notice that the site isn't managed properly and will look unprofessional.
Actually a content management system seems like overkill to me. It doesn't sound like there will be large volumes of info changing on a daily or regular basis.

I also don't agree that you can't get a professional looking site for a site builder, though even with a site builder you 'll need to work at getting a good looking site. Granted you won't be able to build a real flashy looking site, but you can get a good well structured site.

I haven't used and don't know anything about go-daddy's tools, but in looking at their specs for it and some of there examples, it appears that it is possible to get some good results.
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1p View Post
Actually a content management system seems like overkill to me. It doesn't sound like there will be large volumes of info changing on a daily or regular basis.
CMS doesn't have to by synonymous with constant change. Even with a large volume of content that never changes, server-side scripting is a necessity for site management. When your website has hundreds of static HTML pages, not even using CSS (GoDaddy site builder doesn't allow editing of CSS), you know there's a problem. I know this because I had to rewrite a site that was setup this way.
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionbanjo

also, id like all our contact info and all that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle128 View Post
CMS doesn't have to by synonymous with constant change. Even with a large volume of content that never changes, server-side scripting is a necessity for site management. When your website has hundreds of static HTML pages, not even using CSS (GoDaddy site builder doesn't allow editing of CSS), you know there's a problem. I know this because I had to rewrite a site that was setup this way.

From evolutionbanjos description, I wouldn't be expecting hundred s of pages, I wouldn't save dozens. As I said I haven't used godaddy's tools, so I can't comment on the finer points of it. Not being able to edit the CSS, is limiting but still doesn't mean it will look unprofessional.

I'm guessing that evolutionbanjo would like to put up a site that looks nice and isn't overly complicated. Granted you can do much more with your site if you outside a site builder tool, but if you don't have strong skills a site builder will allow you to get a more professional looking site that is easier to maintain.
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM

I beg to differ. The entire premise of my suggestion was based on the stated requirement of displaying many art pieces, as well as several artist bio's to go with them, which would indeed warrant more than a static website based on a site builder template.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Well, I guess have expressed our opinions and its now up to evolutionbanjo to decide what he needs and what would work for him.
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM

thanks for the info guys!!

what is a content manager?
that sounds interesting...
i would like to update my site..easily and professionally.

my geocities sites have been a mess, and i dont know how i would actually run a pro site using geo cities, thats why im looking at other stuff.

i want simple and efficient. yet somewhat colorful.
info is important, and i do intend on updateing it alot, even updateing various artists and what they are doing.
one of my artists just signed one of his peices to the grateful dead, id love to share that info with my site viewers and shoppers!
i also have premissions to a very similar peice!
dont got a site yet tho =)

whats a content manager ? is it free ?
im guessing its similar to a site builder but different ?
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Google of CMS or 'content Management system' should give several hits.
Heres the result of site hosting CMS from google.
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM

As a beginner you should start with basic HTML and few designing softwares as photoshop then try your hands at dreamweaver, if you don't want to get your hands dirty with coding then you can try free site building softwares which is provided free with many host.

Ref : w3schools.com best place for newbies.....
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Why does it always seem that Photoshop and Dreamweaver are mentioned? I mean, if you're talking about someone who's just venturing into learning this kinda stuff, aren't both programs way over the top price wise, when there's other programs out there that are a lot less money for folks to start out on, then if they wish to pursue their ambitions, then look into programs such as PS and DW!
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Why does it always seem that Photoshop and Dreamweaver are mentioned? I mean, if you're talking about someone who's just venturing into learning this kinda stuff, aren't both programs way over the top price wise, when there's other programs out there that are a lot less money for folks to start out on, then if they wish to pursue their ambitions, then look into programs such as PS and DW!
I'm with you on that...
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Yeah both products are much costly but if get your hand on them you can earn more then what you have invested
If you are much concerned about cost and looking for some cheap option then you can use notepad and few free image editing software as gimp (www.gimp.org) but it's human tendency most of us don't take free stuffs much seriously....may be wrong.

I love both PS and DW so thought to share them with you...that's all i am not saying they are best and must use by all newbie.