Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Unhappy I think my Motherboard is dead ... again

I don't normally leave my PC on overnight, but last week I did (so that it could do a virus check overnight). When I came down in the morning, it had crashed - monitor was in power saving and nothing responded. I swtiched it off and thought little of it.

Later when I went to start it, and although the power came on (fans whiring), nothing happened.

I removed the memory, cards, drives and powered up - again, nothing.

I removed the processor and powered up - again, nothing.

I therefore presume the Motherboard is dead - I've only had it two months. (It's a ASRock P4V88). Does anybody have any other suggestions?

This is the second M/B this has happened to, so is there anything which may cause the M/B to die? According to the harware monitor the voltages were stable and within spec.

If I can do anything to avoid this happening again, I'd appreciate the suggestions.

Nick.
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
The most likely cause(in my opinion)would be the power supply. You stated that you removed the memory,processor and cards. You wouldn't get a boot with any of those things missing. If you can get a power supply tester, or a known good power supply someplace try that first. Make sure everything is properly re-installed. Secondly, do a visual inspection of the motherboard. Look for capacitors that are leaking or bulging(capacitors look like little soda cans). If you find any then it would indicate it was, indeed, the motherboard.