Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:53 AM

I am having an ethernet problem! plz help

Hi I have a question! well I am getting one of the new game systems called xbox 360 and you can go online with this system an play other people.we have 2 computers in our house and they are on oposite ends of the house so one computer wich has the modem ( we will call that computer a) and my computer wich is getting the internet through an adapter(well call this computer b). The router at computer (a) uses ethernet but i want my computer (b) and my xbox conected to the internet(Note:The xbox uses ethernet too), so is there a way i can hook up my router and xbox using one ethernet cord, or is there something i can plug in my router to get 2 ethernet port's instead of one so i could hook them both up? plz someone help!!
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:26 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Hello and welcome to CTH,

Since you do have a router that will help but I'm not clear on how many ports it has in its built in switch. If you have say 5 ports then you could just plug both computers and the XBOX into the router and be done. You could also get fancy and use a wi-fi XBOX network bridge that would not only connect the XBOX but direct game related packets on the local network for better game play. Post back with the make, model, and ver number of your router and a member or mod can help you out from there.
Old October 28th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Exclamation what exactly is that?

Well what is a bridge? Im sory but i dont know allot about these things.
So to awnser you above me I have a linsys router model: WRT54G Ver.2
and it is a 4-port switch so what you are saying is that I hook the xbox up to one of the ports in the back of my router? Because i tried to put the ethernet plugs in one of the other ports and it fit. If that is what you do will that be faster than using an xbox adapter? Because I did a speed test on the computer with the modem and got abou 6.5 mbps and then i did my computer wich uses the adapter and got like 2.6 - 3.0mbps. so even is the ethernet is connected to my router it will be faster than the adapter?

Last edited by michael2005; October 28th, 2005 at 04:41 AM.
Old October 28th, 2005, 04:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

Here is an example of the wi-fi device I was talking about...

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...er/default.htm

Now if you don't want to spend the money you can just plug cat5 cable into and ethernet port on the xbox then plug the other end into the routers switch port anything for port 1 - port 4 but not WAN hehe. The data speed will be just fine no worries.
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:41 PM

If I get the new wierless adapter will i have lagg? Well I play online games on my computer and i am fine plus the computer is farther away from the router than the xbox will be so i shoule be fine going wierless right?
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

As long as you config the router and wi-fi adapter to work together you should be just fine. I'm not going to tell you that wi-fi is going to be faster than a wired connection because that in the real world isn't true. The wi-fi just saves you from running 50 feet of cat5 around the house and getting yelled at by the domestic oversee'ers.