Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > MacOS

Notices

MacOS Problem solving for all MacOS versions

Topic Tools
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:52 AM

Datastor will not mount

As the title says, the datastor will not mount on my desktop. I am running a Powerbook G4 on Tiger. When I use the system profiler it shows up and gives me the details, but I don't know how to open it. I have had it for awhile, and it works just fine on my windows machine. Its a little upsetting because using it to transfer files was the only reason I bought it. It is a Pocketec Datastor 20gig usb 2.0 portable hard drive. If someone could let me know how to solve this I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited by erin5; July 7th, 2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:58 AM

O/S: MacOS
What format type is on the drive, and you do eject the drive before disconnecting it each time?
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:19 AM

I am having exactly the same problem. The Datastor (60gig, FAT32) drive worked beautifully under 10.3 (on a TiG4 DVI), but now under tiger (on a brand new AlG4) it will not mount. System profiler recognizes the device on the USB bus, but the system will not mount the drive.

Windows XP still has no trouble mounting the drive, and the data on the drive seems fine.

I would guess that eventually Pocketec will release a new driver for the datastor line to address the issue. I had hoped that the os x 10.4.2 update might have helped, but it appears to have made no difference. Perhaps Apple will release a fix in a later version.

If anyone is having similar problems with any USB2 external drives or devices, or has found a work-around, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks!
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:52 AM

O/S: MacOS
Whilst I sympathise, it seems that Datastor could do a lot more to make their product more compatible, it is a fact that Mac's by far prefer to have external HD's etc. connected by Firewire.