Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:26 PM

Wink Accessing certain websites but not others.

I am able to access some websites, but not others. What command(s) could you run from a command window to determine the cause?
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

What sites?
Are they secure sites? https
What errors do you get?

Command line troubleshooting would consist of
ping, tracert, nslookup
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:47 PM

Hi, it may be the browser/isp you use. A friend of mine used tesco to connect to the net. It used IE6 but as it was using tesco protocols it wouldn't allow him to connect to certain sites for example ebay. He has now changed isp's.

It could also be that your browser has been hijacked, as this has happened to me on a few occasions, the best way to eliminate this is download microsoft anti-spyware, which is only a beta version but ive never had any problems using it and it updates daily if you want it to.

It runs in the background scanning sites/programs you open to check for known spyware or hijacking scripts/progs. Once you have performed a scan it allows you to ignore the threat, delete it or quarantine it and it will give you advice on the best course of action to take. It also has an option to set your homepage to whatever you wish such as google etc in the event that your browser is hijacked, the anti-spyware prog will remove/deny the program from running the spyware/script and reset your homepage to its original site.

I have just finished helping my friend who was having similar problems using aol, he could read email and goto some sites, i tired using aol's spyware protection it discovered one problem and removed it but we still couldnt goto certain sites.
It took 15minutes for a full scan using MS Anti-spyware and guess what.........? it found 653 threats/problems!!!!! I have now used the program to remove them all and now he can goto any site he desires no more problems.
I would recommend that you download it from microsofts website, run a scan and see what the scan results show before you try anything else.

This is the first microsoft product I actually cant wait for the final release version to become available.

Last edited by markdnes; February 18th, 2005 at 11:00 PM.