Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM

So, before I did that test, I was able to borrow a computer that had the two things I needed.

Usable RAM and a PCI video card. So I tried using one stick of it's RAM, since RAM takes like 5 seconds to put in. No change. So I pull out my video card entirely, put in the PCI one. Still nothing, which really sucks because I was hoping it was the video card that was fried.

And I noticed two things while I was digging around there. my fan in the front, lower Msection of the tower isn't going. I'm just not sure if that's relevant to this problem though, that fan is kind of a pain to get to, let alone see. All the other fans are though.

Also, there is a hole in the long grey wire that connects my motherboard to my CD drive. It's not huge, very tiny but, there isn't supposed to be a hole, correct?
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The fan in the front is for cooling and has no bearing on it booting. Trace the power cable to it and unplug it.

The "Hole" is this in the flat ribbon type cable? Or a very tiny one, which is probably the sound cable. Try this, unplug your cdrom, DVD, floppy drive by disconnecting the ribbon cables to them. Only leave the hard drive connected. see if it boots up.
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Yes it's in the flat ribbon type cable.

Computer made a few less noises with all that unplugged but, no change.

Last edited by BradleyLev; March 4th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM

WOW,

You have tried just about everything. The memory from the other system, although the same type may not work, all depends, as there is High and Low density memory and High density will not work if the motherboard does not accept it.

I know a pain, but one last thing I would try is swapping the power supply. Many of your symptoms can point to a faulty power supply. Even though the fans are running it takes quite a bit of power to get and keep the processor going. It's worth a shot, at least it would rule out a faulty power supply.

Sometimes a PCI video card will not boot unless you set it to boot from in BIOS, but you cannot get into BIOS, not all motherboards have this option, it will say boot from (AGP), if not changed to PCI then it would not recognize the PCI card, not sure if your motherboard has this. I will try and fine a manual to see.
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM

Here is your motherboard manual:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/..._p4p800s-x.pdf

Yes it does have a priority:

Graphic Adapter priority (UNDER CHIPSET CONFIGURATION MENU) needs to be set to PCI/AGP for it to recognize the PCI card AGP/PCI is the default. Since you cannot get into SETUP, put both the AGP and PCI cards in and hook monitor up to PCI, maybe it won't see the AGP and then look for the pci.
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
The hole in the IDE ribbon is by design. (it is for cable select)
Ribbon with a CS hole are, far as I know (more so than none CS ribbon.) sometimes causing peculiar errors when the master/slave jumpers are used, and master drive got connected on slave position.

ASUS and overclocking. Hmmmm.
When I first read this topic, I thought EGA of the videocard is shot.
This can happen, and heat makes it happen faster.
If it were overclocked (set wrong) for longer time, the chipset (chipset has its own cool-fins) may have suffered, and the data to PCI/AGP could be corrupt before it gets there.

You've done the CMOS reset.
You could just as well replace that old CR2032 battery and see.
A bad battery happens to cause all sorts of BIOS trouble... it is a small item, don't cost much. You already have a PCI card, and a nearly dead battery may stop you from accessing BIOS. (you've ruled out heat.)

remark, airgun from compressor?
That's a risk to moist and oiled air.
Tip for any kind of compressed air: make sure the fans don't spin 17.000rpm. Put a pen in them so they can't. Not only can you harm the bearings, but DC motors are dynamo's when you spin them, and the current they produce could harm components on mobo.
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM

Well, there's a large problem now.

The computer I borrowed the parts from is now acting EXACTLY the same as mine. Is it possible for a bad machine to be able to fry a video card within 2 powerups?

On the 2nd sick computer, it has an onboard card. So I pulled out the PCI card, plugged the monitor into the onboard, and it worked fine.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:25 AM

If you have a faulty Power Supply it could, or the motherboard is bad.
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:25 AM

And the only way to find out which one is bad is to try using a different power supply?