Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:42 PM

How to automatically maximize windows?

This may be a ridiculous question, but how can I set Excel to open in a maximized form? When I open an Excel workbook, the Excel window is small and then the workbook inside the Excel window is also small -- so that I have to maximize both. Can I set it so that all windows open maximized? (Actually, this goes for any window, not just Office windows -- I like everything maximized.)

Thanks!
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Sorry for answering in a question, but don't the windows open up in the same size they were last closed in?
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM

I always thought so, but since I make it a point to maximize the window so that I can see everything in it before I close it, I know that can't be the case on this computer. Every time I open a new window, it opens in a small form (I don't know what they call that -- it's not minimized, but it's not maximized, either).
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM

O/S: MacOS
Hi abbyqueue, see if this works:

Right-click the shortcut icon that you use to start Excel, select Properties and click the Shortcut tab. There is a drop-down menu next to where it says 'Run:' You then get the choice of Normal window, Minimized or Maximized from the menu. Pick the one you want to use and click OK

Old March 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Sorry for answering in a question, but don't the windows open up in the same size they were last closed in?
Only if the window is maximized to start with.
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM

I don't start Excel through an icon. I start Excel by opening Excel documents from my many students. Is there a way to always start Excel in maximized form?

Also, photolady, what do you mean? Excel starts in maximized form if it was maximized to start with? That seems like a vicious cycle... how can you be assured that Excel starts maximized?
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM

O/S: MacOS
Did you try following my steps? If you do as I suggested, then open one of your excel docs the way you usually do, that should work.

Another thing to try to ensure it opens up maximized, is when you close the programme (having made excel maximized) to hold the 'shift' key down when you click on the 'X' to close the prog,
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Cool, I'll have to try it when I get back to work. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM

FYI, I think the reason Excel is not starting in maximized mode even though that's how I last closed it is because I don't have permissions to change these settings here at work. I just tried PureLight's steps and was denied permission. I've contacted IT to see if we can get this resolved. I'll update you when I find out something. Thanks!