Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:07 AM

Question SYSTEMced error: computer wont boot

Hi, so back in may I had someone helping me out with my spyware, but i didnt get to finish repairing because i went abroad for the whole summer. Now recently when i came back, my computer could not boot. About 10 secs into the boot, I get this message:

Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or Corrupt: \Winnt\System32\Config\Systemced

So I searched for the problem on google and found a fix for it on microsoft's website. But im not exactly sure if it works, let alone what it does exactly.
I used their suggestion here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=269075

I did their 8 steps to "Restore a Backup of the Systme Hive." I didnt try to do the "Reduce the Size of the System Hive", because it seems that you already have to be booted onto windows.

OK, sorry for the long description, but I just want to be clear in what Im describing. So now, the computer did boot, but like they said, I think all my my original drivers are gone (since it opens up at like 640x480 and 16 colors). When my desktop comes up, no icons appear, no taskbar, nothing when i right click and when I try Ctrl+Alt+Del, I cannot choose the task manager. I also tried starting in safe mode, but just got the hour glass and a black screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to access some papers and photos that I havent been able to back up yet. So I guess, someway to save the stuff and then Ill just start from scratch and reinstall win2k or WinXP.

Thanks
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:16 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by akl1 View Post
Hi, so back in may I had someone helping me out with my spyware, but i didnt get to finish repairing because i went abroad for the whole summer. Now recently when i came back, my computer could not boot. About 10 secs into the boot, I get this message:

Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or Corrupt: \Winnt\System32\Config\Systemced
Since you had problems with spyware and were not solved and still experiencing other problems i would suggest you post a new HJT log in Cyber Safety Forum to be checked from experts and help you with your problems.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM

see thats the thing. i would post up a new HJT log, but i cant even access my desktop. all i can do is look at my wallpaper. cant go to my computer, C drive, start menu...nothing.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM

Sorry then i can't help, maybe someone else will.

Last edited by chryssi2001; September 23rd, 2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:24 AM

What you followed on the MS site was effectively useless. The computer is telling you that part of your registry is corrupt (or missing) - backing it up and restoring it immediately does not fix it at all.

If you have a spare PC around, you can plug your drive into that as a secondary drive and recover your data. Otherwise, you can use a Linux Live CD, such as Knoppix, to recover data to another drive or partition on your PC (the link lists several possible storage locations for data backup).

Last edited by oracle128; September 23rd, 2006 at 06:54 AM.