Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old September 5th, 2020, 12:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question Cloning my C drive

Hello there, not sure if this is the right forum to be asking this question. I wish to clone my C drive to a bigger drive. I was wondering if I could use my internal F drive to put the new drive in and clone my C drive to it this way? Then take the new drive and put it in the C drive space and reboot.
Old September 7th, 2020, 04:33 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If I understand you have another hard drive "F" which you want to clone you main "C" drive to, then switch and boot from the new drive (old "F" drive).

Yes you can, I assume you are running Windows 7 as that is where you posted this:

You will need software to do this. One of the "Free" ones out there is:

https://www.ubackup.com/free-backup-software.html
Old September 7th, 2020, 04:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

Question Cloning my C drive

Thank you for responding, I wish to put a new 500 gigs drive in F space then clone my C 270 gigs drive to the new 500 gigs drive in F space. Then replace the old 270 Gigs Drive in C space with the new 500 Gigs drive that I just clone. Then put my old 1 TB drive back in the F space. Does that make sense. The reason I'm doing this is because the old 270 Gig drive is running out of space.

Last edited by mel3986; September 7th, 2020 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Add contents.
Old September 10th, 2020, 12:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
If I understand you have another hard drive "F" which you want to clone you main "C" drive to, then switch and boot from the new drive (old "F" drive).

Yes you can, I assume you are running Windows 7 as that is where you posted this:

You will need software to do this. One of the "Free" ones out there is:

https://www.ubackup.com/free-backup-software.html
Thank you for responding, I wish to put a new 500 gigs drive in F space then clone my C 270 gigs drive to the new 500 gigs drive in F space. Then replace the old 270 Gigs Drive in C space with the new 500 Gigs drive that I just clone. Then put my old 1 TB drive back in the F space. Does that make sense. The reason I'm doing this is because the old 270 Gig drive is running out of space.
Old September 15th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
What brand is the new bigger HDD? Are they both SATA? Most drive makers will have free downloads of a drive clone software to make this easy, otherwise there are free alternatives like the one Murf linked to. Stop thinking of them as C and F drives though. Drive 1 has your existing o/s. Drive 2 is blank. You clone the o/s partition to the new drive, expanding it to fill the space. You then shut down and either unplug the old drive or change the drive boot order in your BIOS/SETUP when the system starts back up. Once confirmed that the system boots from the bigger drive, you can then format the smaller drive and re-use that space for file storage to prevent the new drive from filling up as fast.
Old September 15th, 2020, 06:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thank you smurphy, thank you for replying. I believe both my drives are SATA won't exactly know for sure until I pull the old one. So you're saying it be all right to clone the C drive to the new F drive then put the new clone drive back into the C Drive space than I can put my 1 TB drive back into F space and reboot. Or do I have to clone to an external source?