Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Add to choose program list?

This seems to always happen when I have to upgrade every year to the new version of our checking program MYOB. So the problem is the shortcuts never work, and when I try and open them the choose the program from a list comes up. The program I need to open it with is not in the list so I hit browse for program select the correct app and then it goes back to the list without adding that program to the list so that I can use it to open the file. I've gone into folder options many times to add the .myo extension by hand and still get the same problem when I have to specify the program to open the extension with. Is there a way to force the program into the list that appears in the first place or some other work around to force windows to understand how to handle this extension?
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

You could try one of these options
http://www.shelltoysxp.com/relocate....oseprogram.htm

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...&seqNum=6&rl=1
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:44 PM

If I understand your problem correctly the older shortcuts don't work because they link to the older version. Delete the shortcut before upgrading. The upgrade usually provide a new shortcut.

I've had this happen when upgrading many programs such as AVG and ZoneAlarm. The older shortcuts dont work but the new ones do.

If I misunderstood your problem then just ignore this post as the ramblings of an old codger who sometimes forgets what he reads...
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM

I know what you mean but, yea, I've already removed the old programs and their shortcuts as well as the old extension referances. Since MYOB has recently changed their extension because it used to be .pls and would always get opened as a playlist in media players.