Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
normally you can delete log files. One thing you can do is to disable your antivirus, windows defender and any other security software that is running in the background or giving live protection before defragging. You can also defrag in safemode.
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:10 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
I tried defragging in safe mode (without networking) and it froze at approx 4%. the computer just randomy freezes several times a day and the non-responsive program (browser or email) just hangs and my cursor/spinning circle just spins and spins while the screen kinds of whites out. if i am away from computer for a while, it is almost always frozen when i return.

this all started after a java update a couple of weeks ago, however I have removed the java, tried older versions, scanned for viruses, removed programs, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc....... nothing is working, and I have been rebooting (by holding power switch down several seconds) so much. any ideas?
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You may want to do a check disk.

Open computer and right click your c: drive. Select properties. Under the tools tab click the check now button under Error-checking. You will have to reboot and it might take a little bit of time.
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:59 AM

thanks jazz, ran a check disk on c: and left the house for a few hours. when i came home the computer had rebooted. it has already froze while navigating the web.

can i reinstall vista? this computer came with vista pre-loaded, and they don't provide disks anymore, so how can i do it?
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:18 PM

i just tried defragging again, and got to 5% then stalled on a file called windowsupdate.log

when i search for these ominous log files, they are not found....... i was thinking of deleting them then maybe the defrag would work. but they don't seem to be on the computer.

there was a windows update today, so i accepted it, thinking maybe something in there was a bug fix and this would be solved. once installed, i tried defragging again, and it stalled on:

c:\program data\microsoft\windows defender\support\mplog-11022006-074300.log

I realized that hidden files were not showing, so i turned on "show hidden files" and found the file. When I clicked to open, the computer froze so I rebooted. Located the file again, and tried to delete it, and got an error "this file cannot be deleted because it is open in another program, close it first then try again." wth??????? i have no idea where it could be open, i even turned off windows defender and it still gives me the same message.

Last edited by donnar; September 18th, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:39 AM

nevermind all, i just got this computer back to vista factory default. all is well, please close the ticket. thanks!