Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
ps/2 keyboard beeping

keyboard started beeping during laggy typing (due to low memory). continued for long time, so i unplugged hoping this might cancel the queue. beeping stopped, started again when plugged back in. then i restarted. then "uninstalled" driver thru device manager and followed prompts to restart (required twice). beeps steadily every half second or so while windows (XP) is loaded. beeps twice when comp is turned on, with a more "digital" sound. beeps with same digital sound steadily while boot progress bar shows, then stops beeping while screen turns black. after windows starts loading but before it finishes, beeps start again with a lower-pitched sound.

please help, this isn't my computer so i need to fix it within next 2 hours else owner will blame me for problem even though he's nearly computer-illiterate!!

I forgot to mention to repliers to remember to mention any services that may be required to be running when installing a PS/2 keyboard.

Also, the USB keyboard required a restart before it would work.
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Two beeps when PC is turned on is triggered by the BIOS chip and uses the little internal speaker (ie not the 'proper' external speakers). This means there's a hardware problem because with most BIOS chips you should only get one beep from the BIOS when you power on if all the hardware is okay.

The beep codes vary according to the BIOS manufacturer but two beeps usually means faulty RAM or faulty graphics card. Since you are apparently managing to get Windows up on the screen I'd say it was faulty RAM & not the graphics card.

You can test for faulty RAM with memtest86 from here:
http://memtest86.com/

Download the first option "ISO image for creating bootable CD (Windows - zip)"
and create a CD from it. Then boot the computer from that CD.
Perform at least five passes for the test.
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Uhhh no it's the keyboard.

I don't know what brand the motherboard is, but it's a Dell so it's probably something we've heard of, and none of the listed "tables'" listings made sense. But that's also completely irrelevant anyway since we already know that the beeps happened due to the KEYBOARD....