Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:49 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Ask.com Malware attaches itself to tab bar

Installing Foxit reader, this asks if you want to install malware from Ask.com as well. I unchecked all related boxes (yes, this is a definite truth), and installed FoxIt... I did NOT install any FoxIt toolbars, either. When I started Firefox, a magnifying glass (expandable search box which collapses to the size of the magnifying glass) search pane appeared ON MY TAB BAR. Not above, not below, not part of "toolbars" and cannot be removed or hidden with Customize Toolbars. There was nothing from Ask.com in my AddONs list or in Add/Remove. However, REVO Uninstaller did show something from Ask (I forget exactly what it said). Both before, and after, uninstalling this with REVO, my browsers appearance was exactly the same. No search redirects have ben installed, and none of the registry keys that have been mentioned on other places on the internet that I've found reference Ask.

The strangest thing is, this annoying little search box persists even thorough MULTIPLE PROFILES (delete %AppData%/Mozilla, install another... the "another" of which had been previously located in F:/%AppData2% (in this case, the %s are not wildcard and are the actual name of the folder) or F:/FIREFOX). F:/ is an external USB NTFS drive, and was listed as Z:/ on some computers, and Firefox is installed on C: before copying the Mozilla folder to %AppData% (yes, there was only one MOZILLA folder in %AppData% at the time of install... not even different profiles in the Firefox folder but actual entire separate Mozilla folders). So, you think this may really be in the registry or computer somehow... BUT IT ALSO PERSISTS through multiple computers (and obviously, I did not install FoxIt on any others), as well as this same computer after being reset with DeepFreeze, so what the ****?!