Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:40 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Cannot connect new computer to internet

Computer #1 is using XP SP2 (2002), Computer number 2 is using Windows installed from the same CD, without SP@ (no idea if it has SP1 as the general public didn't even really know about that, so I don't know what's in it). The connection is DSL or cable (owner does not know which), and both computer are connected with an ethernet cable to the router which then connects to the modem. I have no idea how to list any details of this problem as all connection guides say nothing other then "run the network connection wizard". The computer seems to have some connectivity, as typing in www.google.com gets about 6 pixels worth of blue bar along with a few "Loading" messages in the status bar before showing a 404. Pinging, either www.google.com or the IP my other computer is using to connect to Google, does not get any results.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Hi mewgirl,

Let see if we can do something to help you, but first a few questions.

I'm getting that computer 1 works, but computer 2 doesn't, correct?
Where did the XP CD come from and how was computer 2 authorized? The std windows CDs come with with 1 key which is good for one computer.

In a command window on PC #2 can you run ipconfig/all and post back the output here. This help us figure out a starting point for solving the problem.
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Actually it's typically stated as being "good" for about 5 times, but since you are only entering it to install the software, one could probably use it unlimited times. Also how it was "authorized" is irrelevant to my technical problems, since you either do not work for Microsoft or are not posting in that capacity =\.

I do not know what an "STD" CD is and therefore asume I do not have any.

Also if they were only able to be used once, no one would own any since they would then immediately throw them away after using them the first time.

You have not given me any way to copy command window, so I am going to have to retype it all. Since people do sometimes post long sections of information from command windows, I assume there is a way to copy it but not one that can be independently figured out.

This is not an exact quote since some information does not need to be specifically typed, but I've put it in a quote box for formatting purposes.

Quote:
Node Type: Unknown
Primary DNS Suffix: [blank]
Connection-specific DNS suffix: [blank]
DHCP Enabled, Autoconfiguration Enabled [obviously these are true but you never know if you might assume they are not for some reason... ]
Autoconfiguration IP address: 169.254.414.136
Subnet Mask: 255
Default Gateway: [blank]

IP Routing and WINS Proxy Not Enabled (Not using proxies)
The rest of the information is not printed; Subnet Mask on main computer is also listed as 255.
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewgirl View Post
Computer #1 is using XP SP2 (2002), Computer number 2 is using Windows installed from the same CD,
You can ONLY install and run a Microsoft operating system on one computer at any given time IF it is a retail version. If it is retail and you want to install it on another system, you MUST remove it completely from the first system.

If the cd is OEM (came with computer 1), the you can NEVER use that on any other system ever. That includes the original system if you change the mobo, etc.

Based on your post, you are using the same cd on two different systems at the same time which is against Microsofts EULA and illegal. We do NOT assist with illegally installed software.

Does that explain things a little better?

Murray
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:55 PM

Actually, there is Windows on both computers, so clearly, you can.

Also, any installation CD that comes with any computer, will include some version of Windows, so you can actually use it on *any* computer, and if it is the same manufacturer, there is a good chance you can use the entire function of the CD on that computer as well (of course you may have to download some extra drivers).

Nothing I have done is illegal. Also, if you pay for 3 copies of something, and then use one copy, for three different accounts, this is also legal. That is why it is 100% impossible to have an illegal new World of Warcraft account, unless you have generated a fake key. It is also 100% impossible to have an "illegal" copy of Windows XP+, unless you have generated a fake key.

Computer cannot be "authorized", and you should never ask ridiculous, inane and irrelevant questions in response to a tech support.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:05 AM

Wow

My first time to this forum and this is the first post I read. MewGirl has quite the attitude. From what I can see Murry, you asked simple diagnostic questions and for this person to lash back was totally unreasonable. Obviously, some Etiquette needs to be learned here.

All I can say is WOW!

Last edited by azpaul; August 11th, 2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:53 AM

You're right Paul, Murray should really learn to make some reasonable posts involving etiquette!
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
I have resisted commenting on this thread as I wasn't sure if it would be helpful, but here goes anyway.

First off when I said a standard windows CD, I meant a non-volume licensed CD. If you don't have a volume licensed CD, then the software from the CD (windows) and its key can only be used on one computer at a time according to the license agreement from Microsoft. That you are able to install and activate Windows from the CD, does not mean it is a valid install and that you have not violated the license agreement from Microsoft.

This does not mean that Windows can only be used once, rather it can only be installed on one computer at any given time. So, you can install it on the same computer as many times as you'd like. If it is not an OEM version, then you can even install in on as many computers as you'd like, but you must uninstall it from the old computer before you use it on a new computer. (Note: at some point if you keep installing using the same KEY, activation will fail. Then you need to contact Microsoft to activate it.)

From the previous posts, it sounds like because of incorrect information you have inadvertently gone off and violated the EULA from Microsoft. While it seems as though you were unintentionally running an unlicensed instance of Windows, we still find ourselves in a position where we are unable to offer assistance with problems associated with that system.