Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Reply
 
Topic Tools
  #1  
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:11 PM
matt11601 matt11601 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
cloning a drive

I would like to know of a program that clones a HD to another HD. My server is running out of space on the boot drive so I bought a new HD. I want to transfer everything from the boot drive to my new drive because it has more space. Are there any programs that will do this? I have tried Norton Ghost 2003 but when I try to clone it gives me an error saying the virtual partition could not be created due to some defragment error. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time and any help you may offer.

-Matt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 7th, 2003, 01:01 AM
gstone4911's Avatar
gstone4911 gstone4911 is offline
CTH Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2001
O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Location: alabama
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt11601
I would like to know of a program that clones a HD to another HD. My server is running out of space on the boot drive so I bought a new HD. I want to transfer everything from the boot drive to my new drive because it has more space. Are there any programs that will do this? I have tried Norton Ghost 2003 but when I try to clone it gives me an error saying the virtual partition could not be created due to some defragment error. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time and any help you may offer.

-Matt
Hi Matt

If you are running Ghost from Windows,
create a Ghost boot floppy disk, boot the computer with it
and run Ghost.
If you run Ghost from a boot floppy disk, there is no
Virtual Partition created.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 7th, 2003, 02:20 AM
matt11601 matt11601 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstone4911
Hi Matt

If you are running Ghost from Windows,
create a Ghost boot floppy disk, boot the computer with it
and run Ghost.
If you run Ghost from a boot floppy disk, there is no
Virtual Partition created.
Thanks I'll try that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 7th, 2003, 04:47 AM
matt11601 matt11601 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt11601
Thanks I'll try that.
I tried what you said but when I restarted in MS-DOS mode the ghost program would not load saying there was a General Fault. Are there any other ways to clone a drive with Norton Ghost or are there other programs out there?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 7th, 2003, 05:26 AM
gstone4911's Avatar
gstone4911 gstone4911 is offline
CTH Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2001
O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Location: alabama
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt11601
I tried what you said but when I restarted in MS-DOS mode the ghost program would not load saying there was a General Fault. Are there any other ways to clone a drive with Norton Ghost or are there other programs out there?
You could try and run it this way:
Look in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003 folder.
Copy the ghost.exe file to the C: directory.
Restart the computer to dos and run it from the C: drive

Another program you might check out is Drive Image
http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 8th, 2003, 12:03 AM
matt11601 matt11601 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstone4911
You could try and run it this way:
Look in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003 folder.
Copy the ghost.exe file to the C: directory.
Restart the computer to dos and run it from the C: drive

Another program you might check out is Drive Image
http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/
Thanks a lot, I got my drives cloned. But one thing, how do i Make the new cloned drive the boot drive and the old drive just a normal drive for additional storage?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:24 AM
gstone4911's Avatar
gstone4911 gstone4911 is offline
CTH Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2001
O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Location: alabama
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt11601
Thanks a lot, I got my drives cloned. But one thing, how do i Make the new cloned drive the boot drive and the old drive just a normal drive for additional storage?
On the new cloned drive set jumper(s) to Master and attach it to the end connector on the IDE cable.
On the old drive set the jumper(s) to Slave and attach it to the middle connector.
Once you're booting from the new drive you can format or delete the files from the slave drive.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:34 AM
matt11601 matt11601 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstone4911
On the new cloned drive set jumper(s) to Master and attach it to the end connector on the IDE cable.
On the old drive set the jumper(s) to Slave and attach it to the middle connector.
Once you're booting from the new drive you can format or delete the files from the slave drive.
It's working perfectly, thank you all for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:40 AM
gstone4911's Avatar
gstone4911 gstone4911 is offline
CTH Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2001
O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Location: alabama
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt11601
It's working perfectly, thank you all for your help.
Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Topic Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Topics
Topic Topic Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloning my C drive mel3986 Windows 7 5 September 15th, 2020 06:18 PM
Cloning of hard drive Jerry56 Windows 10 3 October 10th, 2017 02:34 PM
Cloning Hard drive Jerry56 Windows XP 0 September 29th, 2008 10:21 PM
cloning my hard drive kenmudd The Anything Else Board 4 October 17th, 2005 09:27 PM
cloning hard drive Jack Scates Windows 98 2 December 27th, 2003 08:45 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:14 PM.