Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:10 PM

Smile I need a good one time scan on line - moved by Jintan

I have posted on the xp board & everything else board and before I buy a new computer I want to run an on line scan for virus, I have free avg and I am just not confident it is working, is there a good one time scan on line?
thanks!
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Uh, I know you've heard of this one...yeah? Not trying to be funny, but you've been here a while.
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM

yes I have been here but I don't go into unknown parts of my computer lol lol
how do I turn off the AVG I have looked and can't find it.Yes I think I did hear about that scanner way back,

It wants me too download some Java download to run that www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
is that safe for my computer. Thanks!
I thank you!

Last edited by perplexed; February 15th, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM

I don't run AVG, but I found this:http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102...sageID=2646125

Hope it helps!!
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM

oh o.k. I did find the box that says resident shield active, thats the AVG right so I unchecked it and the avg icon went red.
Thanks for the info. if the AVG resident shield is on all the time why does it say running for only 1 day 4 hours ,the shield is the AVG correct?????
Thanks!

Last edited by perplexed; February 15th, 2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM

It wants me too download some Java download to run that www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
I thank you!
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I'll move this thread to the CTH Applications forum where others might see it and want to provide ideas.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Quote:
1) I would be concerned about the security of my PC if a website (A/V or malicious) was capable of scanning the contents of my hard drive without me accepting a specific java or activeX applet.
2) Yes, it is is safe to download/install
3) Another one: http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/ (note - this also requires a small java applet)
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM

I am doing the kaspersky,and I chose to scan my computer and not critical files, is that right
It is taking forever. It is on 99% and seems to be stalled, or very very very slow, what
do I do if it won't complete,it shows no threats???

I tried to do the mircro and on the update /install page it loads a little and then stalls there to,
I even cut off my free avg thinking it was slowing it down, something is not right,It has been
almost 10 mins and it is not even moving in the little bar thast shows the progress ,its like it is stuck!
I know i need more memory but would it not load because of that? what am I doing wrong,do I have
to choose something I am not choosing, can you give me step by step it just won't load but a little bit
and stalls and sits there. its been 10 mins and it won'y go any futher.

Thanks!

Last edited by perplexed; February 19th, 2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old February 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM

sorry to be a pest does anyone know why both of the downloads above stall out on, could
it be low memory or could I have a virus, the free avg shows none.
Thanks
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I like this one for my second opinion, there is a free version and an online one.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:20 AM

thanks do I click on the brown square top left for a one time scan,is that for whole compuper?says mailware I think. I just wanna make sure my free avg is not giving me fause info and if I have a virus try and fix it, I am having standby and shutdown issues,I can't reboot, just wanna rule out a virus before I shell out money.

I clicked the brown square and I am doing a deep scan now,will post back results.

I was doing the deep scan my lights blinked due to bad weather and the scan stopped, now when I got back to the site and click the brown box to scan again I get this error 1/0 error 1392, what do I do, I can't find anything on my computer named
emsisoft, ,I have no idea what to do.
Thanks!

Last edited by perplexed; February 22nd, 2009 at 01:41 AM.