Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old September 2nd, 2014, 11:51 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Bad jonboy123! Bad! Effecting your own successful repairs without asking me first (so I could suggest them, and win CTH browny points ).

Go to Start Search, type cmd.exe in the Start Search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as administrator". At the prompt copy/paste the following, pressing Enter after:

sc delete jakndis

You should get a confirmation of that change. Then type exit and press Enter to close the window.

Then just post back how things are running, before we do some needed updating and finish up here please.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:06 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Hi Tom.

Don't worry. You are still the master, me the pupil (:!!

Did the cmd.exe and confirmed.

Turbocharged or what!!!. Just as it should be, in fact, I can't remember it ever being this fast. I deleted the old Windows installations (I presume XP before I upgraded) also which freed up nearly 90GB of hard drive.

I have not re-installed Avast yet. Should I do that yet and do you have a preference with antivirus programmes?

Last edited by jonboy123; September 3rd, 2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:46 PM

See here about the realities of antivirus programs. They're intended to stop the tougher malware programs from infecting the computer. They don't.

You still need an antivirus program, since there really are things (file infectors) called virus's lurking, but should just have one that is lightweight and interferes little in system functions. I suggest Microsoft's Security Essentials. As an antivirus in tests, it is only mediocre, but it gives you antivirus protection, and is light weight.

First, some updates and clean-up.

The logs show you have slightly outdated versions of vulnerable programs, so Go to each of these sites and update to the latest version (keep your eyes open - they often slide in "opportunities" for things like Google, or McAfee's scanner):

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
(Downloads listed on the right - For Adobe Reader and Flash Player - uncheck the useless McAfee scan, if offered)

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
(For Java 7 Update 67 - trying to slip Ask adware/spyware to systems lately, so watch and uncheck it)

-------------

You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that, run OTL again. This will help by automatically removing some of the tools we used.

Just click CleanUp, and select Yes. When it finishes removing some of the tools and files we used there just agree to the reboot.

-------

In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information Here to make sure you stay malware free.
Old September 4th, 2014, 02:26 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Thanks a lot Tom. System seems loads better now.

Jon
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:09 PM