Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old March 14th, 2015, 04:43 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Java is a pain in the ash, I always have problems with it. What I did was completely uninstall Java, then reinstall it.

I use a program called Revo-uninstaller, I think it does a better job then Windows Add/Remove Programs

http://www.guidingtech.com/457/revo-uninstaller/

Get the "Free Version" that is all you need:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Once done with Java then re-install JAVA

https://java.com/en/download/

As for the Video Driver:

At that site click each down arrow:

1. Geforce
2. Geforce 200 Series
3. Geforce 210
4. Windows 7 32 bi6t
5. English
5. All
6. Search

Results download GeForce 341.44 Driver - WHQL

AS for the manual I did not know if you had one, that showed all your BIOS settings.
Old March 15th, 2015, 05:27 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Got the new video driver; it didn't fix the PCI Bridge thing. I tried uninstalling it but it just came back first time I restarted the pc. I guess I'll just let it sit there; I'd like to know what it is but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.
Thanks for all your help.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:41 PM

Go back into Device Manager and under System Devices open it, see if it list the chipset for your motherboard;

i.e., ALI, AMD, INTEL, NVidia, VIA, SIS
Old March 16th, 2015, 02:33 AM

Not explicitly. I wanted to attach an image of the list of devices but I can't get the "manage attachments" window to come up. I looked in the FAQ but what it described didn't work.
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:25 AM

Use the Windows 7 Snipping Tool, unless that is what your trying to use:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

I will have to notify ADMIN if the "Manage Attachments is not working for you. you can email it to me at murf@cybertechhelp.com

Note: Manage attachments is not available on "Quick Reply" must used "Advanced"
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:37 PM

You have the PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge and appears your chipset is nVidia

Intel PCI bridges let designers add more PCI devices, or more option card slots, than a single PCI Bus can support. So Windows is not loading it for one of your devices for some reason.

Did some more research and found for your motherboard this driver:

Video Graphics/Chipset Driver/SMBus Driver/Lan Ethernet Drivers V15.4
Windows 7, Vista (32 bit)

http://mxdtr.com/nForce-MCP61P-Mothe...-Download.html

Download and install, again as it installs if it isn't the right one, it will tell you and cancel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (56.3 KB, 3 views)
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
You have the PCI Standard PCI to PCI Bridge and appears your chipset is nVidia

Intel PCI bridges let designers add more PCI devices, or more option card slots, than a single PCI Bus can support. So Windows is not loading it for one of your devices for some reason.

Did some more research and found for your motherboard this driver:

Video Graphics/Chipset Driver/SMBus Driver/Lan Ethernet Drivers V15.4
Windows 7, Vista (32 bit)

http://mxdtr.com/nForce-MCP61P-Mothe...-Download.html

Download and install, again as it installs if it isn't the right one, it will tell you and cancel.
I finally got time to do this and the download contains only 2 things: Away mode driver and storage driver. Is this really what you wanted?
And my Windows 7 is 64-bit; I downloaded the appropriate file.
Old March 19th, 2015, 04:05 PM

NO,

Went back and looked at your devices: I found this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_...bit_15.37.html

It list SATAIDE driver as part of the package, this may be the one you need:
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
NO,

Went back and looked at your devices: I found this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_...bit_15.37.html

It list SATAIDE driver as part of the package, this may be the one you need:
This package contains SMU Driver, Storage Driver, and HD Audio Driver.
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:36 AM

Damn I am out of ideas...I will ask someone else to look at this one.
Old March 21st, 2015, 03:31 PM

Hi jLittle. Murf asked me to look into your problem. He does that when he gets stuck. The problem is by the time he is stuck, he typically has suggested everything and more than I would thought to suggest and has moved beyond where I would have been stuck!

Can we back up a little and redefine the problem as it stands now? We started out with this being about slow boot times, but that seems to be resolved (and 35 seconds with conventional hard drives is really good by the way - not far from SSD times).

And I note you gave the motherboard model number but what is the eMachines model number? That may tell us what options eMachines used with that OEM motherboard.

Unless I missed something, is the only complaint the yellow error for "other PCI bridge device"? Is that the only error in Device Manager? And other than that, is your computer working fine now?

I have seen that same PCI bridge error many times before with factory built systems and typically, it does not cause any problems. One plausible explanation is the same OEM board is used by many PC makers and in many different computer configurations using the same default settings in the BIOS. In some computers, the default settings match the configurations and in others they don't. And where they don't, you often see the error.

In two cases I worked on, the error was caused by unused integrated devices. One was with a motherboard that had two Ethernet ports but only one was being used. Disabling the unused device/port in the BIOS Setup Menu cleared the error. The other was when the user installed a sound card because he wanted better sound than the integrated device provided. Disabling the integrated sound device cleared the error. Both integrated devices used the PCI bus.

In post #20 above, you said you found new chipset drivers, but I don't see that you ever installed them. Did you install them?

Just out of curiosity, I noticed you are running 64-bit Windows 7 but have only 3Gb of RAM installed. Is that how your system came when new? Have you made any hardware changes since the computer was new (other than adding a hard drive)?

And speaking of HDs, I am showing the Hitachi as a SCSI drive but the WD shows up as SATA (you said SCSI). Is that right? That may have something to do with the adaptec issues because I don't see where that ECS motherboard came with SCSI support. So it had to be user added at some point.

As for Java, I got so tired of it, and the constant reports of critical security vulnerabilities that I uninstalled it over a year ago and have not missed it. I keep it only on my notebook because my grandson needs it to play Minecraft.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Hi jLittle. Murf asked me to look into your problem. He does that when he gets stuck. The problem is by the time he is stuck, he typically has suggested everything and more than I would thought to suggest and has moved beyond where I would have been stuck!

Can we back up a little and redefine the problem as it stands now? We started out with this being about slow boot times, but that seems to be resolved (and 35 seconds with conventional hard drives is really good by the way - not far from SSD times).
Hi Digerati. 35 seconds wasn't the total boot time, it's the time that it was sitting on the logo screen (the one that gives you the option to press Delete for Setup or F12 for Boot Menu. In my experience the time on that screen is usually so short you have to be waiting with your finger on the key or you miss your chance). And yes, that was resolved when i unplugged the monitor-based USB hub. The problem now is that "Other PCI Bridge Device" with the yellow triangle.
Quote:

And I note you gave the motherboard model number but what is the eMachines model number? That may tell us what options eMachines used with that OEM motherboard.
Model ET1831-05 but I've changed out the CPU.
Quote:
Unless I missed something, is the only complaint the yellow error for "other PCI bridge device"? Is that the only error in Device Manager? And other than that, is your computer working fine now?
That seems to be the only error in Device Manager, and most of the time the pc seems fine.
Quote:

I have seen that same PCI bridge error many times before with factory built systems and typically, it does not cause any problems. One plausible explanation is the same OEM board is used by many PC makers and in many different computer configurations using the same default settings in the BIOS. In some computers, the default settings match the configurations and in others they don't. And where they don't, you often see the error.

In two cases I worked on, the error was caused by unused integrated devices. One was with a motherboard that had two Ethernet ports but only one was being used. Disabling the unused device/port in the BIOS Setup Menu cleared the error. The other was when the user installed a sound card because he wanted better sound than the integrated device provided. Disabling the integrated sound device cleared the error. Both integrated devices used the PCI bus.
The problem with the PCI Bridge device started last Fall. I thought that doing a clean Windows install (I think it was January) would fix that, along with some other issues. It took care of the other things but not this one.
Quote:

In post #20 above, you said you found new chipset drivers, but I don't see that you ever installed them. Did you install them?
No because I asked Murf about the possible downsides to installing them and he replied, "There is a remote possibility that you would have to use the Windows DVD to do a start up repair, you just never know. So if the system is running good, I would just leave it alone." So I left it alone.
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, I noticed you are running 64-bit Windows 7 but have only 3Gb of RAM installed. Is that how your system came when new? Have you made any hardware changes since the computer was new (other than adding a hard drive)?
yes, it came with 3GB. I added the sound card and the CPU.
Quote:

And speaking of HDs, I am showing the Hitachi as a SCSI drive but the WD shows up as SATA (you said SCSI). Is that right? That may have something to do with the adaptec issues because I don't see where that ECS motherboard came with SCSI support. So it had to be user added at some point.
No, the system specs were printed automatically by some program. I didn't add any HD support that wasn't originally in the pc.
Quote:

As for Java, I got so tired of it, and the constant reports of critical security vulnerabilities that I uninstalled it over a year ago and have not missed it. I keep it only on my notebook because my grandson needs it to play Minecraft.
I thought we basically had to have it these days.

Thanks for looking at this, and thank you too, Murf.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:23 AM

I missed I added the sound card .

Was the PCI bridge there before adding the sound card?
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I missed I added the sound card .

Was the PCI bridge there before adding the sound card?
Oh, crap! I didn't add a sound card, I added a graphics card. Sorry.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I thought that doing a clean Windows install (I think it was January) would fix that

No because I asked Murf about the possible downsides to installing them and he replied, "There is a remote possibility that you would have to use the Windows DVD to do a start up repair, you just never know. So if the system is running good, I would just leave it alone." So I left it alone.
Well, IMO, reinstalling the OS should always be a last resort option. There are many reasons but security tops the list as you typically end up months, if not YEARS behind in security updates and service patches. Plus, with W7 and before, you virtually have no security (except for Windows Firewall) after installation until you download (risky with no security installed) your preferred security program. Fortunately, Windows 8 has the fully capable Windows Defender included.

But note reinstalling Windows requires reinstalling all your other programs and typically results in losing all your personal data as well. And also, as seen here, it often doesn't even fix the problem. But when it does fix the problem, nothing is learned so you don't know how to prevent recurrence.

As far as the "remote possibility" installing the current drivers could cause problems, that is true. But there is a remote possibility you will be struck by a falling meteor too. I am not a fan of updating drivers just because new ones are out there, but it really is pretty rare a full OS recovery is needed should the update fail. For one, the update failing is pretty rare to start. And then being unable to roll-back the update by returning to a previous Restore Point would be even more rare or remote. Understand updating drivers is NOT the same thing, or as risky as flashing the BIOS.

I am NOT saying you should do it, I am just saying that "remote possibility" you would have to do a start up repair really is pretty remote - and FTR, MUCH LESS drastic than a full OS install, which you have already done.

Quote:
Oh, crap! I didn't add a sound card, I added a graphics card. Sorry.
Well, typically, when you add a graphics card to a motherboard with integrated graphics, the integrated graphics is automatically disabled. So that should not cause this. Plus, typically integrated graphics use the PCIe bus, not the PCI bus - so again, that is not likely the problem.

If me, I would probably just leave it alone. But if I got a wild hair stuck somewhere, I would not feel too hesitant to install the latest chipset drivers either - especially if one addresses the PCI bus.

But as ALWAYS I recommend you backup any data you don't want to lose before doing anything else.

Most users don't need Java anymore. I recommend you uninstall it, then run JavaRA to make sure all remnants of older versions are gone too. If a site or program needs it, you will be prompted to install it again. But chances are, you won't need it. Note the US Department of Homeland Security Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) has not rescinded their Jan 2013 bulletin and still recommends users disable Java in browsers. I note on very rare occasions I might visit a site that says I need Java to see the full content of the site. But when I look around, I already see everything I need! So I can only guess they want me to install Java so I can see something useless to me - like an animated logo or advertisement for something I don't need. So why risk security for something not needed?