Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:46 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thanks
Old January 1st, 2015, 01:46 PM

Reading this and your other post, after many attempts to boot from cd/dvd drive, with more than one boot able disc, you have only been partially successful once! Have you considered that the cd/dvd drive might not be functioning correctly?

I would be inclined to boot to windows using the old drive and checking, via the computer management "snap in", that the new ssd is recognised by the system and, if so, partitioning and formatting it. I would also test the cd/dvd drive and check that the two cd/dvd's can be read.

To answer your header question, if I understand from your two posts correctly, the re-installation disc supplied by your OEM will restore your computer to its "factory settings" and the install disc purchased on Ebay will be a clean install requiring a product key and a Microsoft "genuine" check.
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:23 PM

Thanks for your input,I,m not familiar with the ..snap in..what is this?Do you mean I should put back the old drive and somehow add the ssd to see if it is recognised.The SSR i s recognised in BIOS if that indicates anything.Assuming there is room for the old drive and the ssd in my PC..a tower..I should partition and make the ssd to NTFS? .I am completely unfamiliar with this so I would appreciate any suggestions.I do have a product number for the old windows 7 though I was not prompted to enter this number ,is this product number that I was given originally assuming that this is what is meant by the product key.Would my using sata 110 instead of 111 or 112 or 113 ,is there any advantage changing my sata setting? to say sata113
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:35 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I merged your other thread into this one as there was info in that one that can be helpful
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:43 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1st lets clear up the different SATA 110,etc. Do you know the make and model of your motherboard? Please post.

2nd, appears you have a problem with either your CD/DVD drive or the disks your trying to boot from are at fault.

If you put your old drive in, then attach the SSD (you do not have to physically put it inside the tower. You take the drive and put it on a piece of cardboard then hook the power and SATA cable to it. (case side remove obviously) then boot up and then you can format the SAD within Windows.

Once booted, open up disc management (Right click on "My Computer" then to Disco Management) The open window should show you all your drives and the SSD probably will not have a drive letter assigned (maybe) then you click on the SSD drive right click and format. Then follow the screen, be sure to select NFS.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:11 AM

Hello lcyber

firstly you need to check that your cd/dvd drive is working correctly, to do this you need an operating system to work with. Put your old drive back into you computer (remove or leave the SSD disconnected for the time being) and start up. Your computer should boot to your old windows, now put the Windows installation disk into the dvd drive, it should now autoplay giving you either an option box with two options "Run setup.exe" and "Open folder to view files" or Windows setup will start automatically and you will get a small Windows 7 box with "Install now", if neither of these happens go to "computer" and try to open the disk in your dvd drive from there, If you get the message "please insert a disk into cd/dvd drive" try the other installation disk.If the same thing happens it is best to replace the dvd drive since it is unlikely (although not impossible) that the two disks are faulty.

Please try this first and post the result, what to do next is dependent on the outcome.

Also, if you have made any changes in your BIOS I suggest you reset to the default settings!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:40 AM

Re your SATA question, SATA II 0/1/2/3 are you onboard SATA connection ports, the convention is port 0 for your first drive port 1 for your second and so on.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:44 PM

Hi Murf the old drive is not recognised in BIOS,only the ssd which is connected along with the old one is recognised,have I not connected something.The connections made are just the four pin wires..not a tape.There is a 50mm wide connector on the old drive but I can,t see where it would be plugged in to,there are no pins on this tape,only holes where pins would go.My mother board is GigabyteG31M -ES2L,hopefully this message will not fall foul of expired token.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:25 PM

Go to this url to download your motherboard manual

http://download1.gigabyte.eu/Files/M...s2l(s2c)_e.pdf

If the tape (ATA cable) is connected to your drive you need to plug the other end into the green socket between the memory slots an the power connector (where the cables from the power supply unit plugin to the motherboard.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 02:14 PM

I had been trying to fit an old hard drive,not the one I am trying to fit now,please disregard that pat of my post.The hard drive I am trying to fit now is Excel Story Jupitor 80 GB it only has 15 flat pins next to a 3mm gap then there is a bank of 7 flat pins ,these do not correspond to the Ide socket..which is white not green..There is a 50 mm tape plugged into this IDE socket and the other end goes to the DVD drive,the IDE socket has some 40 pins.My problem is where to plug in this hard drive ,I took a Pic before starting this operation but the quality is too poor to decypher
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:35 PM

Is this is the drive you were originally running your windows operating system on?

From what you are describing your EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series 80GB is a SATA drive and the connection you are unsure about is the SATA power connection. If you do not have one on your PSU wiring (they are usually black and have an 'L' shaped slot) then you will need to get a Molex to SATA converter cable.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:50 PM

Hi yes this is drive I was running my system on ,I can see the smaller pin connection is for sata that leaves the connector with 15 pins separated from it,sneighbiur by 3mm space,where would that connect to? Not sure about PSU wiring as you can tell I,m no Bill Gates.Does the four pin connector ,which I believed also to be a power. supply need to be connected ? as this would mean a data power supply and the four pin suppling power.Would the 15 pins I referred to being connected via the PSU connector,hope this is not too rambling to follow.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 04:25 PM

The power wires from the PSU (Power Supply Unit) are groups of 4 (coloured red x1, black x2 and yellow x1), each group will have one or two plugs on them, if all the plugs are the same as the one plugged into your dvd drive you have no SATA power connectors and you will need to purchase a couple of Molex to SATA adapter cables.

The smaller 5 pin connector is the data transfer port, the 15 pin connector is the power port. Both need to be connected for the drive to work!

Have you got both connected on your new SSD?
Old January 3rd, 2015, 05:01 PM

Have just checked out your EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series 80GB, it also has the Molex connection (the same as your dvd drive), you can use this instead of the SATA power connection
Old January 3rd, 2015, 05:06 PM

So,I need,a molex to connect the 15 pin supply to the mother board SATA L shape connection.I also need a molex for the dvd disconnecting the PSU wires and leave them to hang free,I then need a molex to SATA connecrion to take it,s place Yes? I do have both connected to the new SSD both power supply from PSU and also the SATA .What should happen to the 50mm wide tape connector going from IDE on the motherboard to the DVD,does it need removing or left in place?
Closed Topic