Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:26 AM

WiFi Change Channel Shadowing

Hi. Newbie here.

Need to know whether I need to be worried. I run Windows 7 Pro 64bit and secure WiFi. My secure WiFi router gives me the option to change channel in the neighborhood network with less or no other network activity.

For almost three+ weeks, I've been monitoring the channels (1 thru 13) and I've noticed that everyone else on the network are on a static setting -- maintaining one or a default channel for their router. However, there is one that keeps on shadowing my channel change(s) about 95% of the time. This is telling me that this one seems to be spying on my surfing. This one does not show up on my network map but he/she can shadow my channel change(s).

Is this possible and how is he/she doing this? If yes, how do I stop it?
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Is this possible and how is he/she doing this? If yes, how do I stop it?
Sure it is possible. How? Same way you are "spying" on your neighbors. But are you spying on their "surfing"? No. And they are not spying on yours either (assuming you have not given them your passphrase).

Wireless networks use radio frequency (RF) radiation. You cannot hide RF signals. Seeing them is not spying.

How do you stop it? You don't. You can't. You can, however, set yours to static and see if they stick to the same channel too. And I would make your SSID name something that does not identify you.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:28 AM

The reason I posted the issue was because I got annoyed. I was happy with my default static channel setting but later noticed dramatic slow down especially when watching streaming vids. I took into consideration the server speed of the vids and bandwidth. I then experimented by changing channels and an improvement resulted. I got pissed when one wifi user in the neighborhood network kept on shadowing my channel changes and slowing the streaming vids.

Thanks for replying. Yes, you just confirmed my assumption.
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Some WAPs (wireless access points - often integrated into "wireless routers") auto select channels, supposedly for the best connection. But tests have shown they are not always great at that.

If you live in a crowded (lots of wireless networks) neighborhood, perhaps in or near a large apartment complex, crowded wifi is inevitable. My point is, your neighbor, or your neighbor's WAP may simply be searching for and landing on the least crowded channel too.

Like a new line opening up at a crowded grocery store, suddenly that new line if full of people wanting to check out.

My advice? Go Ethernet.
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:18 AM

I don't think that is the case. Most of the WiFi in my neighborhood are clumping on three channels out of the 13 channels available. Most are static except for the one and myself. But seriously, there are 10 other channels available but he/she keeps on shadowing the channels I chose. *** piggy back on my selected channel?!

Yes, I can go hardwire Ethernet but its on another floor. I only use it when I'm over there. Most of the time I multitask -- watch TV while on the internet -- on the ground floor.

Thanks.
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by #gotissues View Post
I don't think that is the case. Most of the WiFi in my neighborhood are clumping on three channels out of the 13 channels available. Most are static except for the one and myself. But seriously, there are 10 other channels available but he/she keeps on shadowing the channels I chose. *** piggy back on my selected channel?!

Yes, I can go hardwire Ethernet but its on another floor. I only use it when I'm over there. Most of the time I multitask -- watch TV while on the internet -- on the ground floor.

Thanks.

maybe it is something as simple as they see you on a certain channel, know you know something about computers so they use the same channels as you figure you are getting a better signal. it aint nothing to get upset about.
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
To be sure, there is no piggy backing going on - it does not work that way.

I think it just appears he/she is shadowing you around. And besides, it is not your channel. As I noted above, go static and see what he does.
Quote:
it aint nothing to get upset about.
I agree. I mean you have every Right to be upset, but be upset at the limitations that come with wifi networks, not at the other person who's probably just like you - seeking the best bandwidth.
Old June 21st, 2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
To be sure, there is no piggy backing going on - it does not work that way.

I think it just appears he/she is shadowing you around. And besides, it is not your channel. As I noted above, go static and see what he does. I agree. I mean you have every Right to be upset, but be upset at the limitations that come with wifi networks, not at the other person who's probably just like you - seeking the best bandwidth.
yep, i tried doing just that. i selected a channel that no one else is on and stayed there for a few minutes and lo and behold, he/she jumps to the same channel. i stay a bit longer -- up to half an hour -- but he/she does not jump to other channels. So ... i change channels. i select another channel that no one occupies and not for long he/she jumps to the same channel i am on. i can keep on doing this all day but will yield the same results.

i go hard wired ethernet and disable my wifi and he/she goes back to where he/she normally roosts -- channel 1 -- also a crowded channel up to 6 occupants. he/she does not leave at all until i go wifi again and he/she chases me all over the channels ... round and round we go.

btw, i never claimed to *own* any channel. i select one that no one else occupies like channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, & 10 to get a stronger signal and bandwidth. channels 1, 3, 6, & 11 are occupied -- owners have static settings.

if he/she is *truly* seeking the same -- a stronger signal and bandwidth -- would it not be logical to pick an unoccupied channel? really fishy dude this one.

he/she uses "Belkin.4F29" name for his/her network. Try google "Belkin 4F29" and curious what comes up are search results concerning, trojans, hacks, and the like.

Last edited by #gotissues; June 21st, 2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
btw, i never claimed to *own* any channel
I know. I am just saying they are public channels, not private, and others have a right to use it just as you do. And while you may see unoccupied channels, they may not really be unoccupied, just out of range from your location.

I suggest you change your network name (SSID) to something totally different so they don't know it is you.

Again, I feel your pain and sympathize with your situation. I just see this as another reason to use Ethernet.

Do you have SSID Broadcasting Enabled? Have you changed your default passphrase to something very strong?
Old June 22nd, 2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:

I suggest you change your network name (SSID) to something totally different so they don't know it is you.

Again, I feel your pain and sympathize with your situation. I just see this as another reason to use Ethernet.

Do you have SSID Broadcasting Enabled? Have you changed your default passphrase to something very strong?
am on Ethernet most of the time now and I did change my SSID and passphrase.

thnx.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Usually your router should provide the option to not broadcast your SSID.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1 View Post
Usually your router should provide the option to not broadcast your SSID.
True, but that really does not hide it from any wannabe because again, the radio signals go everywhere and anyone searching for them, can easily see them. And with a simple directional antenna, they can easily see where they are coming from too - regardless SSID broadcasting settings.

For that reason alone, wireless will never be as secure as wired, but that does NOT mean wireless is automatically insecure, or easily hacked. It just means a badguy sitting in a car down the street can easily see you have networking hardware, and can conclude you most likely have computers in your house too.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 10:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
True, but that really does not hide it from any wannabe because again, the radio signals go everywhere and anyone searching for them, can easily see them. And with a simple directional antenna, they can easily see where they are coming from too - regardless SSID broadcasting settings.

For that reason alone, wireless will never be as secure as wired, but that does NOT mean wireless is automatically insecure, or easily hacked. It just means a badguy sitting in a car down the street can easily see you have networking hardware, and can conclude you most likely have computers in your house too.

only if they know what house the signal is coming from.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
only if they know what house the signal is coming from.
Which is why I said (and you quoted too), "with a simple directional antenna, they can easily see where they are coming from too - regardless SSID broadcasting settings."

And anyone can easily build a very efficient hand-held directional antenna.
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Which is why I said (and you quoted too), "with a simple directional antenna, they can easily see where they are coming from too - regardless SSID broadcasting settings."

And anyone can easily build a very efficient hand-held directional antenna.
but it will not give the exact location. just gives a general direction.