Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM

I have it but there's no otl.exe to click on.

And would it be better all round to format the H Drive? I know I will lose the files, but clearly there is something going on and I can later put them back. On the other hand, it puzzles me since I can see the folders and files on H drive that I copied and pasted manually and can see inside them by clicking on the H drive icon on the desktop. If it wasn't formatted, I couldn't do this?

Also, if I format the H drive (how?) would this correct the problems I have had?

Last edited by cdave; July 26th, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Did yiou download and save otl.exe to yoiur desktop?

Quote:
On the other hand, it puzzles me since I can see the folders and files on H drive that I copied and pasted manually and can see inside them by clicking on the H drive icon on the desktop
See if you can copy those to another location. For the short and long run, I dont trust that drive. If disk management says the file system is RAW and earlier, Windows backup would not restore a file to that drive because it said the drive was not NTFS, & now you have had that CRC error..... I don't trust it to be stable.

The bottom line is you can try to reformat the drive. But I prefer you ask about this issue of the CRC error on the Hardware forum. The experts there will know much more than I do on this subject.
Checking the integrity of that drive is important. We never did successfully run a chkdsk there. That should be step 1.
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:42 PM

"Did yiou download and save otl.exe to yoiur desktop"

No, that's what I was saying. Where is it? I can't see it up there. This isn't possible: "windows7 Users, right click on OTL.exe."

Also, it was earlier claimed that H drive wasn't formatted, so I would have thought that formatting it would be the answer. I would, to save time, show you a screenshot of what I see but (helpfully!) this can't apparently be done on this forum so things take twice as long.

This is once more getting more and more complicated and there's no end in sight.

Last edited by cdave; July 26th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:31 PM

cdave,

Please calm down. It is not either my fault nor the forum rules causing your issues with your system.

Go to Start and type otl.exe into the Search programs and files box. Wait for the results. Does otl.exe appear?
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM

I could tell you to format H; and that's it. But the real issue is that it was once formatted as NTFS. But disk management doesn't see that. Nor does Wik ndows Backu0o when trying to restore a file to the drive. So the next question is why was the formatting lost? That's a question for a Hardware Expert to help determine. Is this drive is shot? You need to know whether or not you can fully trust this drive again.

We tried to perform a chkdsk on the drive to no avail.
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:47 PM

Running it now. Please don't think I don't appreciate your time but this can get, to say the least, a little frustrating ...
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM

OK there are two notebooks created labelled as

OTL.TXT
EXTRAS.TXT

Do you want to see what's in them both? There is a HUGE amount of data in them, so perhaps you only need me to copy and paste some of it?

Last edited by cdave; July 26th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM

I only need to see extras.txt please. I am typoing a lot. So it's time to sign off. I'll read you log next time I get here.
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:53 PM

See the last email.

Last edited by cdave; July 26th, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Just as aside. These are the recordings for the various drives. ASIDE from the H drive, are these others in order?

C - NTFS
D - NTFS
H - RAW
"System Reserved" - NTFS (100mb) (what's that?)
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Actually, I cannot now access the H drive at all on my desktop. It now says "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" It wants to format it. Should I? And any tips?

LATER: The H drive "appears" to be working now. At any rate, I can "save" files on it for the moment.

Seems to me that this H drive is faulty and needs to be returned. It's still under guarantee. I can't trust it and am nervous about using it now. Agreed?

If I do, what do I tell the retailer when he wants to know what's wrong with it? Give me a few technicalities I can give him. And before I take a replacement H drive from him, what does he need to test, so that this isn't a problem again?

I am also saving the important desktop folders on a number of CD discs. How do I check they are reliable and that the files are saved properly? They seem to have saved okay, but all this has made me worried!

Computer Management shows now:

C - NTFS
D - NTFS
E - UDF
H - FAT32

So H has now changed from RAW file system, which again confuses me. I did try to format it, but it said that it wasn't possible.

Backup and Restore has stopped operating. Says now that "The backup location is not connected." When I now go to Set Up Backup, the H drive isn't showing as an option.

And the Memory Sticks are not working now either!! It asks me to format them but when I try, it won't let me format them. So those and drive H are out of action. Is this related to H drive's problems?

Last edited by cdave; July 27th, 2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Wikndiws Bckuo doesn't allow FAT32 drives as storage for Backups.
I have idea what's going on wth your system. You error message in the Extras.txt file show some problems with disk integrity. Bad Block errors. Could be some of your Cd's are faulty. And there are repeated errors regarding te H: drive.

So far as testing a CD is concerned, if you have another computer available, you should test the Cd's there.
Have yiu plugged in the External Drivbe to another computer to see if it works there?

Please give exact error messages. It won't let me gives us no clue, unfortunately.

Are you sure the H: drive showing as FAT32 is really the external drive?

I think it's time for you to post in the hardware forum to get more technical advice. This is not my area of expertise.
Old July 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM

I brought in today the people who sold me the computer. The memory stick problem was caused by myself when I clicked on the desktop icon, which you shouldn't do for that drive. And after explaining all the issues, they conclude that the external hard drive needs replacing. So they've taken that one away and I should soon be getting a replacement. It might have also caused the difficulties with Backup and Restore. Anyhow, let you know news when received ...
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Great! Sorry you lost some files. That external drive certainly was acting strange.
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:00 AM

Thanks and no, I didn't really lose anything. I was worried the night before (see above post) and spent 5 hours overnight copying the key files to CD discs, since I knew that drive was working. Got little sleep. The following morning, phoned the retailer who seemed to think straight away that this was a faulty external drive. That would, IF TRUE, also explain the problems we've been having with Backup and Restore.

Tell me. In a normal external drive, what file system is it? This was RAW, which I now know was wrong and it wouldn't let me format it properly. So what do I look out for in the replacement drive?

Second, with a normally active external drive, should I be able to visually see, in a separate folder, the backed up files I have saved using Backup and Restore? I could never see them, as you know. And where will they be located?
Closed Topic