Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:30 PM

I'll copy and paste the information to Word from the posts to be able to follow it then.
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:35 PM

When I type cmd.exe only this comes up. (How do I attach files to this post??)
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

cdave,

You can't attach here. Can you tell me what comes up?
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:07 PM

It asks me for a command to enter... not Run as Administrator on a menu.
Old July 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM

Go to C:\windows\system32 and find cmd.exe

Right click on cmd.exe

A menu should now show like in this screen shot: (Click on the image to view it in larger size)

This doesn't happen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (49.9 KB, 5 views)
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM

When you say that, where do I go to type it in? In the Search Programs and Files box?
Old July 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Yes.
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM

I have a black screen and a command prompt but right clicking doesn't do anything. Can you let me have your email since I really need to show you with a screenshot attachment, otherwise we're going round in circles.

Last edited by cdave; July 20th, 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:59 PM

Do you know how to copy and paste? Heere's how.

Highlight the command I gave you by holding the left mouse button down and dragging the mouse over the text. Once the text is highlighted, right click on the mouse. A menu will open. Click Copy.
Then right click inside the black command window. A menu will appear. Click paste on the menu. Then press enter and the command will run.
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM

So I type in that command you gave before at Start and then go to "Search programs and files" to type it in? Then when you say I "highlight the command," are you referring to the black pane that comes up when I entered the first command (Windows\system32\cmd.exe) at Search programs and files? But that asks me to enter a command, so I'm not clear how I can drag the mouse over the text. I am clearly on the wrong track. I do wish I could show you this to save time, via a screenshot, since we seem to be at cross purposes here (other forums have a facility for attachments).
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
CyberTechHelp allows uploading attachments for subscribers cdave however subscribing is not mandatory and there is nothing to stop you from uploading your image to a site like http://tinypic.com/ and posting it here using the IMG tags.
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM

So I uploaded it but how do I get it now to you?
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:50 PM

cdave,

Quote:
So I type in that command you gave before at Start and then go to "Search programs and files" to type it in? Then when you say I "highlight the command," are you referring to the black pane that comes up when I entered the first command (Windows\system32\cmd.exe) at Search programs and files? But that asks me to enter a command, so I'm not clear how I can drag the mouse over the text. I am clearly on the wrong track. I do wish I could show you this to save time, via a screenshot, since we seem to be at cross purposes here (other forums have a facility for attachments).
Don't worry about a screenshot.
I know what the problem is.

I will repeat the instructions step by step for you. Now this command is going to be a bit different from the original.

I need a little bit to formulate something. But I do need to remind you that the results of this command are not going to list All files copied. Onlly that a backup was created.
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM

Go to Start. Type cmd.exe in the Search programs and files box. At the top of the results list, you'll see cmd.exe listed. Right click on cmd.exe and then on the menu which you will now see, click on Run as Administrator.

When the command window opens:
Highlight the contents of the following code box by holding the left mouse button down and dragging the mouse over the text. Once the text is highlighted, right click. A menu will open. Click Copy.
Then right click inside the black command window. A menu will appear. Click paste on that menu.
Then press enter and the command will run.

Code:
dir /a /s /O:D  H: >backup.txt && start notepad backup.txt

A file named backup.txt will open. It will list all the folders and their contents present on the drive. Let mw know how that goes.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM

Yes, that's all done. Now, which are the files and folders saved using the Backup and Restore function? Also, and this comes back to the original question and is really the nub of the matter. Where exactly are my backups stored or saved? They don't want to be saved in the computer, for obvious reasons, and I can't see them on the destination (H) drive on my desktop, so I'm still confused exactly where they're located on the system.

Last edited by cdave; July 22nd, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Closed Topic