Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Question Desktop Freezes / cannot open Icons

HP laptop G61-511WM
Motherboard - Quanta
CPU AMD Sempron (TM) M100
AMD 64 family 16 model 6 stepping 2
Windows 7

Suddenly today, my computer is freezing the desktop. I cannot click on any of the icons to open. I have to go to the folder, click desktop and then open the icons from the folder.

what would cause my desktop to freeze? What can I do to fix. It has done this twice today already...first time it froze, I rebooted the computer to get it working... now it is frozen again.

thanks
Barbara
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
can you open task manager? ctrl+shift+esc take a look and see because if so it may be a program using up your cpu or ram
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM

I can open Task manager okay... It shows 99 processes..CPU usage from 1-9%
Physical Memory 65 Memory 1.77GB
Physical Memory
total 2812
Cached 992
Avail 1001
Free 53

System
Handles 37818
Threads 1267
Processes 97

Commit (MB)
2255/5622

Kernel Memory (MB)
paged 260
non-paged 80

IExplore.exe is showing 11 times in the processes...CPU 00

Right now, cannot click open any icon on the desktop...the mouse pointer is spinning like something is running

thanks,
Barbara
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:58 PM

I rebooted the computer... which now desktop unfroze for the time being...

Processes = 85
CPU Usage = 1-7% goes up and down

Physical Memory 51%

Udner performance tab
Memory 1.41GB

Physical Memory (MB)
total 2812
Cached 1383
Avail 1362
Free 19

System
handles 24748
threads 915
Processes 85
Commit (MB) 1571/5622

Kernel Memory (MB)
paged 292
nonpaged 70

I don't know what caused the desktop to freeze so don't know what to avoid..

thanks
Barbara
Old November 25th, 2010, 12:01 AM

Okay... the only thing I did after rebooting was open task manager and get information, come back in here using IE and desktop is now froze up again...cannot click on any of the icons once again...

thanks
Barbara
Old November 25th, 2010, 02:31 AM

explorer.exe should not be listed 10 times thats very odd.try closing all of the explorer.exe NOT "iexplorer"after you close them all go to the applications tab in task manager click new application or new program and type explorer.exe.

your problem sounds close to somethin i had before
Old November 25th, 2010, 02:51 AM

Okay... a bit confused and before I close anything...want to clarify... it's the
iexplore.exe that was in the processes 11 times. The Explorer.exe in there once.
so do I close out the one Explorer.exe and then in new Tasks windown, type the Explorer.exe and enter...

I did a logoff the computer and then signed back on and at the moment, the desktop icons are clickable. Not sure how long this will last. I've never had this problem til this afternoon. Was working fine til that time...I didn't install anything so not sure what caused this problem. When the desktop icons freeze, there is something that seems to be continuously running because the mouse pointer is circling. It's strange.
anyway...want to clarify what I need to close and then reopen...
thank you
Happy Thanksgiving to you
Barbara
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacat104 View Post
Okay... a bit confused and before I close anything...want to clarify... it's the
iexplore.exe that was in the processes 11 times. The Explorer.exe in there once.
so do I close out the one Explorer.exe and then in new Tasks windown, type the Explorer.exe and enter...

I did a logoff the computer and then signed back on and at the moment, the desktop icons are clickable. Not sure how long this will last. I've never had this problem til this afternoon. Was working fine til that time...I didn't install anything so not sure what caused this problem. When the desktop icons freeze, there is something that seems to be continuously running because the mouse pointer is circling. It's strange.
anyway...want to clarify what I need to close and then reopen...
thank you
Happy Thanksgiving to you
Barbara
ok my apologies i thought you said explorer well in that case do exactly what i said above only leave explorer.exe alone and close all of the iexplorer.exe
dont worry about starting a new process for iexplorer though if you go to the internet explorer icon to open the internet like normal that will work

iexplorer=internet explorer
explorer=desktop
Old November 25th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Okay.. Thanks.
At the moment, I am not froze up...so when I freeze up again. I will try that and see what happens.
lately, my computer is so mean to me... It seems to be something all the time lately.
I keep losing my sound and have to reboot to get it working again...internet Exlorer and Firefox continually runs the "Script is causing computer to run slow" and you have to click to stop the script from running so the site continues to come up and now the desktop starts to freeze. It's crazy.
thanks for your help... when I freeze up again, I will use task manager and close out the Iexplore and see if that helps...After I logged off and bck on, all the Iexplores disappeared from Task manager.

Thank you so much
Barbara
Old November 25th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamacat104 View Post
Okay.. Thanks.
At the moment, I am not froze up...so when I freeze up again. I will try that and see what happens.
lately, my computer is so mean to me... It seems to be something all the time lately.
I keep losing my sound and have to reboot to get it working again...internet Exlorer and Firefox continually runs the "Script is causing computer to run slow" and you have to click to stop the script from running so the site continues to come up and now the desktop starts to freeze. It's crazy.
thanks for your help... when I freeze up again, I will use task manager and close out the Iexplore and see if that helps...After I logged off and bck on, all the Iexplores disappeared from Task manager.

Thank you so much
Barbara
no problem just post back with the results
Old November 25th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Download and run the fixit on this page and run it please:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

It's intended to get rid of your script error. Right click on the download and Run as Administrator.

I am sorry for interrupting, but I feel you may have some kind of malware. Having that many instances of Internet Explorer running bothers me. We generally deal with the scans in the Malware Removal Forums.

Do you want to have a closer look?
Old November 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM

Hi... sorry..didn't realize the script problem and the desktop freezing were related... I've downloaded the fix and will run and see what happens.. Will post back. then maybe we can do closer look...the computer has been acting strange lately...
appreciate your help
Barbara.
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:07 PM

Barbara,

You're welcome.
Ok, good. Even if the script is slowing... is resoved, it sounds like you have important issues.

Mo
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM

I downloaded the Fixit and installed... I guess it runs when installed? I didn't see anything else to do... I checked a couple websites that was giving me problems with the script and it isn't popping up right now..the site slows and then keeps going and the Script messages doesn't come up now.. Thanks.
Yes, have been having issues with sound...that I can't figure out. I downloaded and installed upgrade to Codec driver and lost the capability to play MP3 music..so had to go back to the old driver. When I plug in external speaker or headset, I'll lose the sound...but not all the time......and then sometimes without doing a thing, the sound will disappear and the only way to get back is to reboot. the other day when the desktop icons froze..I finally did a log off and then back on and it unfroze it and so far, hasn't done it again. I also have problems now and then with the internet connection.. I'm using wireless with a router and it will disappear and kick me offline.....I have the main access and a guest access which isn't signed on and my computer will decide to switch and I have to switch it back or it will shut off the WLAN (which it hasn't done in the alst three weeks).
It's just really been fun (NOT)...LOL... I am starting to believe I have a gremlin in here. I run Norton 360, I keep up with the auto updates. It all has me stumped and not sure what is going on with it.
thanks for your help
Barbara
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:32 PM

That all sounds strange.
It may not be malware, but it may be, or something else we can have a look at by running a couple of scans.

Please download DDS: Here

If you are using Firefox, go to the toolbar and click File. Then go down to Save As & click.
Then save it on the desktop. Save as dds.scr
Save as Type : All files

to your Desktop and doubleclick on DDs.scr to run it.
If your security software includes script blocking features, please disable these before you run this utility.

When the scan has finished, two logs will open.
Copy and paste both reports in this topic.
The logs will be reasonably large so you may have to divide them into sections and make several posts to post them.