Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM

XP to Replace Vista

hi guys,

my hp laptop comes with windows vista that always give me problem. i find win XP oky to my taste since XPsp3 is almost like vista. but don't know how to get the system formatted and install the XP.

step to step help would be appreciate.

thanks.
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Before you start the formatting and reinstalling, make sure there are drivers available that will work with both your laptop and XP. Many hardware manufacturers are not bothering to write XP drivers for hardware that will be shipped on Vista systems. In addition, laptops often use proprietary hardware and drivers for it can only be obtained from the laptop manufacturer's site.

If you do find XP drivers for your laptop, download them and save them somewhere other than the laptop's hard drive so you can install them after XP is up and running.

Finally, you cannot use a copy of XP that came with another computer so make sure you have a full install (not upgrade), retail copy of XP.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:40 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well, I'm not sure 'how old' your laptop may be or your version of VISTA? But, another consideration is to upgrade from VISTA to Windows 7, which is an option; this choice would be attractive if your VISTA machine is new and has not accumulated a bunch of other software & the usual MS bloat? If interested, be sure to check out the Windows 7 Compatibility Center; hardware on your laptop will need to be compatible, you'll have to choose an upgrade version, and of course the other option is 32- vs. 64-bit processing.

Good luck in 'whatever' direction you go & please let all know your experience. I have a VISTA laptop but have not had major issues (used mainly for browsing the web), so will not likely upgrade to W7 on that machine; but we own a XP desktop and probably will buy a 'new' W7 system next spring as a replacement!