Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
{bdb57ff2-79b9-4205-9447-f5fe85f37312}

So I've been trying to fix my brother-in-law's computer for the last few weeks (we're over there on Sundays) and he keeps getting this message when he tries to access a web page that uses flash. I have tried various methods to fix it, always thinking I have succeeded only to find the next week that my success was limited. What I have tried:

1. Deleted all internet explorer add ons and reinstalling them

2. Disabled his UAC prompt

3. Tried creating a new profile due to thinking it was corrupt

4. The most basic one was... Clicked details and clicked "always install without permission from adobe" or whatever the exact wording was

I am seriously getting frustrated with this. I am new to Vista and have taken IT classes online. The version I have experience with is Enterprise (student version), and his is Home Premium. I know there are things that can only be done depending on what version of Vista, but this seems like it should be an easy fix. Part of me thinks there might be a security thing to fix, but the only ones I'm kind of famaliar with are Server 2003 ones. Please help...
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Scottech. Actually, I think the problem is related to Adobe F/P's permissions. Try running IE as administrator. Are you still asked to install further components?
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Hi. I'm not at their house at this moment, but his account is the only one on the computer so it's an administrator account already. I have tried right-clicking to use the run-as option, but it wasn't there. It's also a tricky thing too, because I can accept it and select always accept from Adobe, but later in the week he has the same issues. So whatever I do is seemingly undone a few days or even hours later. He leaves his computer on all the time also, as he has a program installed that checks registry for errors and such at boot and adds a considerable wait time to load Vista properly (my mother-in-law installed it on both my brother- and sister-in-law's computers).
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
his account is the only one on the computer so it's an administrator account already.
Vista is quite different to XP in this respect Scottech. With UAC enabled, the Administrator account doesnt exist in the form that was present in Windows versions prior to Vista. Now all users have standard user accounts which denote the level of access they have and are logged in as standard users by default. This means that Admins are logged in with administrative privileges disabled. To gain access to Administrative options, the user must provide the necessary credentials via Admin Approval Mode. See User Account Control here.

You can read more about UAC here (What's User Account Control in Windows Vista?)

Quote:
I have tried right-clicking to use the run-as option, but it wasn't there.
Are you sure? If so, his profile may have corrupted.

Quote:
he has a program installed that checks registry for errors and such at boot and adds a considerable wait time to load Vista properly (my mother-in-law installed it on both my brother- and sister-in-law's computers).
What software are you referring to? It's entirely possible that it has caused this problem. Registry Cleaners should never be used unless there is clear evidence of registry corruption AND the user has considerable expertise and understands exactly what the cleaner is doing. Contrary to popular belief, Registry cleaners do NOT speed up your operating system.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:35 AM

System Mechanic is the program they use. I personally wondered about her installing it, but I figured she has her reasons. Should I tell her to uninstall it and see if it helps?

Also... I did try to run IE in administrator mode, but there was no option for that.

I did try the profile curruption thing that I saw you had posted to another user. I created another account and it had the exact same results that I had when accessing a flash heavy page on his account.
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Should I tell her to uninstall it and see if it helps?
It sounds as though it might have removed some critical registry keys. I have seen System Mechanic cause some dreadful problems on computers and you only have to run a Google search to read tales of woe so yes, I recommend that it be uninstalled on all the computers she has installed it on but unfortunately this wont fix the present problem if SM was responsible. That's sorta like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted.

What version of IE is installed?

Go to Start > Seach and type iexplore.exe in the Start Search Box. Hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Ok any UAC prompt and IE should now run with elevated permissions (you should see Protected Mode: Off in the Status Bar). Does the problem still occur?
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM

I'll tell her to uninstall it from the computers. If it removed critical registry keys would a system recovery be able to fix that? Or would it be a restore from a backup that they would have to do? I'm not sure, but I want to say that it's still IE 7. I don't think he upgraded to 8 yet.

And I don't think that the run as option was there. I tried it on my Vista (I have enterprise and he has home premium) and I saw the run as administrator option. His IE icon was on the desktop as a shortcut (which is what I tried) and mine is still on the task bar at the bottom left. Should that make a difference?

Once my mother- or brother-in-law gets home I'll have them try the last part you suggested after they uninstall SM.

Last edited by Scottech; May 6th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
And I don't think that the run as option was there. I tried it on my Vista (I have enterprise and he has home premium) and I saw the run as administrator option. His IE icon was on the desktop as a shortcut (which is what I tried) and mine is still on the task bar at the bottom left. Should that make a difference?
Yes it does. That's a special icon and it's properties will take you to Internet Options. Is there no icon on the Start Menu? When you go to Start > Search and type iexplore.exe in the Start Search Box, iexplore.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it now. Does that "Run as Admin" option appear?
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Ok, so I am at their house now and am going to uninstall SM. I did check on the run as option, and there was no run as on the desktop shortcut or on the start menu shortcut. There was, however, an option when I went into the programs and found the icon there. It didn't work however. Also, it is running in Protected Mode: Off, but the problem is still there. I keep clicking out of the dialog box when it comes out because I want to see if what I am doing actually works. I'll post again after I finish uninstalling SM. Oh, and yes, he is running IE7.

Edit... Ok SM is now uninstalled, and the problem is still there.

Last edited by Scottech; May 10th, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM

I just had a thought... If I had a different version of IE do you think the problem would still be there? I am now debating on wether to download IE8 and see if that helps.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

No dont do that yet. I have just spent a very frustrating hour on Adobe's site looking for a document they refer to but doesnt exist any more.

Having had this experience with Adobe before, I copied it a while back and will reproduce it below for you (with a couple of added comments). Uninstall all versions of Flash Player before you start. See How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control. Reboot and follow the instructions below.

Flash Player may fail to install due to incorrect permissions in the registry. Before you download the Microsoft tool and follow these instructions, first read this TechNote "Troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player installation for Windows" (TechNote tn_19166).

Additionally, if you don't have administrator access, then you may not be able to install Flash Player successfully. Permissions can be tricky but, in general, you should be able to install and use Adobe Flash Player if your system administrator gives you full access. Windows administrators should be familiar with "Registry permissions required for Flash Player install or update" (TechNote tn_19148).

Reason
Flash Player and other programs may fail to install if there are incorrect permissions in the registry or if there are missing ACLs for the Administrators group or for the built-in System account. The Windows Installer service runs with System account permissions. The installation will fail if the System account does not have sufficient permissions to access the file system or parts of the registry.

Solution
Using the SubInAcL tool from Microsoft to fix permission issues in the registry has solved installation errors for several products including Flash Player.
Warning! The following solution involves the Windows System Registry. Editing or manipulating the registry incorrectly can result in serious system damage which may require reinstallation of the operating system. If you are not comfortable editing the registry, then take your system to a professional. If you choose to proceed, then it is essential that you create a complete system backup and a Windows System Restore Point before proceeding. Adobe Systems cannot be held responsible for damage resulting from this information.
You must have administrator privileges to successfully complete these instructions.
Follow the instructions to download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft Download Center here (it works just fine with Vista).
Install SubInACL.
Download reset_fp10.zip from Adobe to your Desktop.
Extract the reset_fp10.cmd file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.

Important: Be sure that both the subinacl.exe and reset_fp10.cmd files are in the same location here: C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.

Double-click reset_fp10.cmd.
This will open a command window and execute the SubInACL tool.
Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.
When it is finished you will see "Press any key to continue".
Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

Let me know if this helped.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the response. I'l try that next week when we're over there and let you know what happened.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok and good luck.