Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:29 PM

When typing letters, windows pop up instead of text letters.

Using Windows 7 ultimate on a Toshiba L300-12L laptop with a usb keyboard plugged in.

Fault: when I am in the middle of typing text, suddenly a key fails to type the given letter but instead it causes a window to pop up, for instance, the last downloads list window, or i noticed if i hit h the history lists comes into the browser window to the left of the main area.

I guess its something to do with the Num Lock, but i have tried various things and i can only get it to start typing letters again by removing the battery and power cord, rebooting, and it works for a while but soon stops again.

Thinking the plug in keyboard may be faulty i have bought a new one but its the same.

I appreciate any genuine advice!!

Any solutions please? I asked my local computer technician and he cant think what coulc be causing it!
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi aromaman. Does the same thing happen when you activate and use the onscreen keyboard?
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Yes it does the same

Yes I just used On screen keyboard and it does the same, For instance in Google search, if I type the letter h, the History comes up on the left, within the browser, if i type d, a window pops up om Firefox. Page Bookmarked, if I type p, a window pops up for Print.. ie choose Print Range, Frames, Copies.

Does that give you any more idea as to whether its a software or a hardware problem?
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ctrl + those keys would normally activate the Windows you refer to. It sounds like Sticky Keys has been activated.

Go to Control Panel and click on Ease of Access center > Make the keyboard easier to use. Is Turn on Sticky Keys checked? If so, uncheck it and click on Apply and OK and reboot.

Let us know if this helped.
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Hi there, no, Turn on Sticky Keys is not checked. So unfortunately that is not the solution. Also i checked the keyboard in the Device Manager and it says it is enabled and working properly and I clicked to update the drivers online and it says the drivers are up to date.

However, the keys dont type any letters.... any more ideas please?
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Are you using the laptop with the lid closed (with external display) or open?
Have you tried just using the laptop keyboard, with NO USB keyboard connected?

As AnnMarie says, the behaviour is consistent with CTRL key pressed. It sounds like it could be a fault with the laptop keyboard CTRL key(s) that may be intermittent. Has anything ever been spilled on the keyboard or dropped on it?
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM

The same thing happens whether i plug in a usb kepboard or i use the laptop keyboard. Its possible something was spilt on the keyboard or it was jolted..it was in someone elses hands so i am not sure. Sometimes i have the lid closed and use a monitor because the laptop screen has some black blotches on it, so i prefer to view it on a monitor, and i have set for nothing to happen when i close the lid, under Power Options.

Ah hah. I just put the num lock ON, on the plug-in keyboard, and it is now typing letters as per normal..whether i use the laptop keys or the plug in keys. But howe long that will last, i dont know.

Does that give you any more clues? let me try it all day today and see if the fault recurs.
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM

Yes, you see, it typed just fine for about an hour, then when i rebooted, it was back to no typing...so i still need a solution.
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM

To be honest, I think it's going to require a hardware solution. i.e. disconnect the internal connector for the built-in keyboard.
You could try disabling the built-in keyboard in Windows Device manager although I've just tried that with my Toshiba Tecra and that's not possible (WinXP pro though).
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

If Sticky Keys isnt the culprit then like smurfy, I am leaning towards this being a hardware issue, particularly as it's intermittent.

Unfortunately, the only sure way to find out is to physically disconnect the keyboard internally and use the USB keyboard in this state but I dont recommend that be done by anyone other than a Tech.
Old June 29th, 2011, 10:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ooops, sorry smurfy. I started typing ages ago but got interrupted and didnt check the topic before I finished my reply.
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:24 AM

If you want to try D.I.Y. here's a disassembly guide.