Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:23 AM

Urgent Help with site redirect PLEEASE updated

I have my sites done but cant seem to be able to redirect when they go to www.GoMemphisGrizzlies.com to go to my affiliate site. Anyone have any quick ideas on the right way to do this?

update
I was told using the meta=refresh code on my site would get me banned from searcg engines.

This is my first real online venture and now i am stumped

jrbing@hotmail.com

Last edited by jrbing; January 26th, 2005 at 02:06 AM. Reason: update
Old January 26th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You need a file in the root directory named index.html. That file will open when your url is accessed. You could make that an entry page ("Click to enter").
That link then goes to your affiliate site. I don't like entry pages but that's the easy way. You could also use a meta refresh tag on your index page to automatically go elsewhere.
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

If you have an Apache Webserver then you can use .HTACCESS and the Rewrite/Redirect rule.

If you have PHP support then you can use Header("Location <url>");
Old January 26th, 2005, 05:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbing
I was told using the meta=refresh code on my site would get me banned from searcg engines
That is correct. Not just refresh, any redirection will get you SE banned which means you'll never get
listed or if you are listed you'll get the boot and your domain name will go into a ban list.
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:31 PM
CTH Subscriber

if you do need to do a redirect then using a method like the Apache redirect method is a good SE friendly way to do it - that sends a 301 Status code along with the request and so the SE bots know what's going on.

redirect permanent /oldURL http://www.site.com/newURL