Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old April 28th, 2021, 03:49 AM

Downloaded .exe files wont install - windows defender issue?

I am having trouble installing software.

Razer Synapse - the box pops up asking me if i want to allow program to make changes to my computer. I hit yes and then nothing happens

minitool partition wizard - the setup files are corrupted, please obtain a new copy of the program (pretty sure there not corrupt)

logitech mouse drivers - same as razer synapse

nova bench - the installation package could not be opened. contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package

The common thread with all these programs is that windows defender attempted to block them all before I installed them and I hit install anyway.

What I have tried so far is

Browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\FileSystem.4. Click on FileSystem to display its contents in the right pane of the Registry Editor.
5. If the value for either the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation DWORD or the Win31FileSystem DWORD is not 0, right-click the DWORD, choose Modify, and set the value to "0".
6. After closing the Registry Editor, try the installation again.

run services.msc
start windows installer

right click on file
go to properties
uncheck block (although I didn't see a check box on this one)

Anyway thanks for your help in advance, its annoying not being able to install legitimate software.
Old April 28th, 2021, 06:16 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Settings > Apps > Apps & features. At the top, you'll see a Choose where to get apps section. If the dropdown is set to The Microsoft Store only (recommended) then you won't be able to install apps from anywhere else.

Change this to Anywhere or Anywhere, but let me know . . . and you're free to install what you like.

You should also check a similar setting in Settings > Update & Security > For developers. Here, make sure that you have Sideload apps selected under Use developer features. Choosing Microsoft Store apps will prevent you from installing regular software.

Close the installer dialog if it's open, then right-click on the installer file and choose Run as administrator. After granting admin rights, try the installer again and see if it succeeds.

Right-click on the app's executable file and choose Properties. In the resulting window, swap to the Compatibility tab. Here, you can choose to Run this program in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.
Old April 30th, 2021, 12:16 AM

Sadly non of those worked. Thanks for your help though. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks, Cody