Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 29th, 2015, 08:26 PM

Can A Old CRT monitor cause stuttering in video games?

Hello,

I recently switched back to a CRT monitor and when I play video games no it. In particular csgo and counterstrike 1.6 I am getting stuttering. I think thats the term for it, but basically what happens is every minute or so the game stops for a second or two, then the action resumes and the players are in different positiions and so am I, but I do not see them move. The stutter last about 1 second.
It does not seem to happen on my LCD monitor. I am trying to figure out the issue. I have tried everything I can find on csgo forums about fixing stuttering issues, but I am begining to think it has something to do with my monitor, or the way my computer relates to my monitor. I guess I need help diagnosing the problem and of course solving it if possible. Thanks for your help! I was not sure if I should put this in gaming or hardware. Feel free to move it.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 32 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Acer Predator G3620 (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
VX920 (1024x768@100Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 29 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA) 37 °C
14GB SanDisk SSD U100 16GB (SSD)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH29N
Audio
iTrack Solo
Old June 30th, 2015, 02:22 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
It's not the Monitor.

Check to see that you have the latest Video Drivers,
and your using the latest version of ATI Catalyst.
Check the Resolution Settings. {1024 X 768}
Color Depth. {32-Bit or Higher}
Refresh Rate. {60HZ - 72Hz - 75Hz - 85Hz}
You may need to play with these adjustments to get the best picture.

Also make sure the games have the most recent patches.

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old June 30th, 2015, 03:19 AM

thanks for the reply, it appears to have been a network issue, not sure why it only appeared on the crt though, maybe the higher refresh rate on the monitor had something to do with it, thanks for the help :-)
Old June 30th, 2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
maybe the higher refresh rate on the monitor had something to do with it
As Ensign Tzap stated it is not the monitor but the analog signal being sent to the monitor. And my guess is the buffering (stuttering) you see is due to latency issues in the digital to analog conversion process being done by your graphics card.

It is not likely the CRT monitor has a higher refresh rate either. 60Hz is common. But it is important to understand refresh rates with CRTs are different from refresh rates with LCDs.

The phosphors making up each pixel on the inside surface of the CRT screen start to fade the moment they are lit up. So they have to be refreshed (re-"excited") so the image remains displayed.

On a LCD, the lit pixel will remain lit forever - until instructed to turn off. The pixel does not need to be refreshed to keep displaying the same image. They never need refreshing - only re-instructed to change colors or turn off when new information is sent.

So for LCD monitors, it is really a "redraw rate" not a "refresh rate". I can only assume marketing weenies got their hands in their somewhere at the beginning of LCDs and, once again, used the wrong terminology, but it stuck.

Are you using an analog connection with the LCD monitor?