Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:08 PM

New monitor / fried pc?

Ok here is what happened:

I bought a new monitor and instead of turning of my pc i just switched out the monitor cables thinking that it would work and i wouldnt have to restart. But the new monitor said no signal. So instead of plugging the old one back in i just forced the power off using the power button, thinking the new monitor might just need a restarted computer to work.

When i turned th pc power back on the monitor immediatly showed the windows desktop with all these error boxes. It was wierd it was like it woke up from sleep when i powered on the pc, it didn't go to windoes login or the acer screen before that. I could still move the mouse, and exit out of the error boxes.

So i powered off again using the poer button on the pc and it started to load the acer screen and said it was trying to repair he disk and this could take more than an hour.

After it finished this it said it failed and now im stuck at a blue scren that says choose an option with the following options.
1. Continue to load windows 8
2 Use a device - usb recovery cd ect
3. Triubleshoot - refresh reset or use advanced tools
4. Trun off you pc

I tried to refresh the pc under the trouble shoot option and it said there was a problem and no changes were made

Then i tried troubleshoot, advaced options, system restore. It gives me two restore points and either one i click on it it tells me "you must always restore the drive that contains windows. Restoring other drives is optional." Then has the c srive listed below it with a selection box, but i cant check it and i cant hit next, they aregreyed out.

I really would rather not lose all my files, so i havent tried the "reset your pc". But that might not work either, havent tried.

Im using windows 8 and not sure if i have upgraded to 8.1 cuz it asks me if i want to download it for free, or it used too before this happened lol

Acer predetor ag3620-ur14
Intel Core i7-3770
Microsoft Windows 8
12GB DDR3 RAM
2TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
16GB SSD
AMD Radeon HD8760
12x Blu-ray Disc/DVD SuperMulti Double-Layer Combo Drive
Multi-in-One Digital Media Card Reader
10/100/1000 Network
802.11a/b/g/n Wireless
Bluetooth 4.0+HS

Thank you for your help :-)
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:41 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1. Powering off using the power button while Windows is loaded, obviously is not a good idea.

2. Have you hooked the old monitor up and see if it boots?

3. I would leave the old monitor attached then boot and if the automatic repair window comes up click on Advanced Option.

If it doesn't go there try using the power button to start 3 times in a row then it should bring up the Windows Recovery Environment.

Then chose the option Troubleshoot

Click Startup Settings or Advance Options and then on Startup Settings

Click restart see if it boots.

If it does restart to make sure it is OK, then Shutdown change monitor.
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:49 PM

Ok i plugged in other monitor and recover came up, so i did what you said and it restarted then said preparing automatic recovery, then diagnosing pc then the blue screen again.

The screen says automatic repair couldn't repair your pc. Press advanced options ect ect. Log file "c\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt"

Shutdown or advanced options

Thank you again :-)
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:06 PM

I figured out how to open the log file (thx google) it has alot of stuff in it, at the end of the log file it says "root cause found: the operating system version is incompatable with startup repair"
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:44 PM

Tried to hold alt and tap f10 to load acer recovery, but it wont load just goes to the windows recovery, im thinking of trying to get recovery media from the acer website but dunno if i should get windows 8 or 8.1 not sure. Any advice in this or beyond this? Ty
Old January 9th, 2015, 10:38 PM

Well i was able to get the files onto a usb drive that i needed through command prompt and and am in the process of resetting my pc. Hope it works, so far its looking good. Thx for your help, ill start a new thread if it doesent work. Or you ca keep it open, up to you. Thx again for your help :-)