Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Post Compare text files

Is there a way to take two text files, and using the command line, find any exact duplicates? I mean, so that they are highlighted or something else stand-outish. I'm not satisfied with Track Changes/Compare Documents in Word, and freeware out there for comparing files, well.......so far, I haven't found a program where I really "like" the way differences are shown!
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Hiya Harrie - why do you want to use the command line ? If you were in Linux I'd have the perfect solution.

This prog is good but not command line: http://www.scootersoftware.com/

& has a free trial
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

Oh! Thank you, I'll try it out!

I didn't so much want to use the command line, just thought it might be effective.

Would you mind very much posting the perfect solution in Linux? I don't have it, but I know a Linux fanatic and I would like to pass it along! Besides, I'm interested in Linux!

Thanks a lot, Mishy. Be back after trying the proggie.
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

I do like this one better than what I tried yesterday, notably WinMerge. White background black text showing exact duplicates. And that "copy to other side" business is good, too! In fact, I really like that. Hmmm. Wish it were free forever, LOL. I like it, though. Thank you, Mishy!
Old June 17th, 2005, 03:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

Just wanted to say I ran into another interesting program, called TextMonkeyPro. I should probably make a new post about it because it isn't specifically for comparing files, though it does have an option to delete duplicate lines so that caught my eye. It looks interesting for people who do HTML, blogging, etc. Just thought I'd post about it. Two people I really respect use it. Not a freebie but a 10-day free trial is available.

TextMonkeyPro
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
Is there a way to take two text files, and using the command line, find any exact duplicates? I mean, so that they are highlighted or something else stand-outish. I'm not satisfied with Track Changes/Compare Documents in Word, and freeware out there for comparing files, well.......so far, I haven't found a program where I really "like" the way differences are shown!
Recently I found another program for comparing files: Compare Suite (www.comparesuite.com).

This product is more powerful than MS word because it allows comparing files of different formats such as *.txt, *.doc, *xls, *.html, *.pdf etc. Also I often use it for comparing folders including numerous subfolders. After comparison you can all the results in easy-to-read form: comparison report.

You can download it for free from the website and use it for 30 days with no features restriction.

So far I’m satisfied with the performance.