Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
gmail - pop3

Looks like googles gmail is going pop3.
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Free -- for now.
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:01 PM

That would be so great
Old November 13th, 2004, 05:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

Arrow

Dan, I'm probably just going blind or have lost my noodle, but where in that link do they refer to POP3?
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
Dan, I'm probably just going blind or have lost my noodle, but where in that link do they refer to POP3?
apparantly it timed out or google changed it anyway, here is another one after a quick search in google.
Old November 13th, 2004, 01:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

Arrow

Thanks! Oh wow, that is some cool!
Old November 20th, 2004, 11:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I now use the one that comes with GMail, it works very well.
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra
I now use the one that comes with GMail, it works very well.
does it have ads?
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:34 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

OK, I gotta ask - till now, I've stayed out of the 'free gmail' threads. It's e-mail. E-MAIL. Not rocket science. Not a free piece of furniture. There's scads of free e-mail sites out there...have been for years now. I got a HoTMaiL account back before Microsoft bought it. It was free back then. But NOW,......it's still free. I've got half a zillion one-off accounts that I've used once or twice, then abandoned. Big deal.
And now, G-mail. OOH, SEND ME A FREE INVITE - PRETTY PLEASE!!!!! Uhhh....why? I don't receive 10 PowerPoint presentations a day, so the storage isn't important. It's just text, with a little HTML thrown in once in awhile. I guess what I'm asking is...why? What's the big deal?? What don't I get?
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:36 AM
Rampant Rabbit

LOL....me neither
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:40 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipulrich
OK, I gotta ask - till now, I've stayed out of the 'free gmail' threads. It's e-mail. E-MAIL. Not rocket science. Not a free piece of furniture. There's scads of free e-mail sites out there...have been for years now. I got a HoTMaiL account back before Microsoft bought it. It was free back then. But NOW,......it's still free. I've got half a zillion one-off accounts that I've used once or twice, then abandoned. Big deal.
And now, G-mail. OOH, SEND ME A FREE INVITE - PRETTY PLEASE!!!!! Uhhh....why? I don't receive 10 PowerPoint presentations a day, so the storage isn't important. It's just text, with a little HTML thrown in once in awhile. I guess what I'm asking is...why? What's the big deal?? What don't I get?
I want to know so I can answer questions about it. I agree it is just email and imo not that impressive but since so many are using it, it is nice to have answers when questions arises.
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
does it have ads?
Nope, none that I'm aware of.

As for the GMail itself, I like it as a secondary e-mail set up. I used to have a Hotmail account, it was okay, but had too many spam mails being sent. That may have changed since then, maybe they have the same as GMail has what with spam filters and a folder that takes the spam. I got sick of Hotmail so long ago, and have never been back.

I also have a Yahoo account, they've upped their "space" limit too. I used to like them untill they stopped the use of their account with a SMTP server (here in the US at least). I know there's programs out there that can do this for you, but to me, I can't understand why "certain" countries accept this feature, and other countries don't.

GMail can have it's slow times, I've noticed that. They've had their problems along the way, but remember, they are still in beta mode, and at the end of the day, the set up is "web based", you surely can't say other "web based" email set ups never have their hiccups.

Is Hotmail still free? Like I said, I gave up with them ages ago, but I've friends who have changed to other email set ups recently, because they've been informed that Hotmail will no longer be free.

So far, GMail hasn't said anything about their service going in the way of a "pay" service. I'm not saying they'd ever do that, I just hope that if they do, they remember all the folks who signed up to them as beta testers, which means all the folks who already have a GMail account.
Old November 21st, 2004, 04:24 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

So I guess I still don't "get" it.
Yes Hotmail's still free, as is Excite mail (generous inbox space), Mail.com (choice of tons of @something's), etc. etc. Is it the Google name that has everyone so ga-ga over their service??
Old November 21st, 2004, 04:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipulrich
So I guess I still don't "get" it.
Yes Hotmail's still free, as is Excite mail (generous inbox space), Mail.com (choice of tons of @something's), etc. etc. Is it the Google name that has everyone so ga-ga over their service??

its the name, the hype, and the success from the tool bar. otherwise with all the info available about gmail in cth, if you still don't get it, you never will.
Old November 21st, 2004, 04:48 AM
Senior T-Dog

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit

its the cyber jones syndrone or the me me gotto have it,everybody else has it on the this forum,its the new trend for today.i am guilty,i sent my pm for an invite,just to see what it was all about,no big deal. i use v-mail