Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:36 PM

Unhappy File Sharing--Access Denied

I've had this problem for quite some time now and it's finally gotten to the point that it's frustrated me enough to post it here.
I have two computers at work here. They are both running Windows XP Pro and are connected via 100BaseT ethernet to a LinkSys router with DHCP enabled. The two PCs have no trouble at all seeing each other and accessing the internet. I want to be able to share files between both computers, which have Simple File Sharing enabled (let's call them A and B). Unfortunately, the File Sharing is only working in one direction. PC A can read and write files on PC B, but not the other way 'round. PC B gives me an error message the instant I click on a shared folder on PC A: "C:\WHATEVER is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this network resource. Blah blah blah. Access is denied."
I do not really want to have to create new user accounts just to share a few files, so I'd rather use the built-in Guest accounts, of course. I've heard a rumor that in order to do so, I may need to tweak something in Computer Management/Services. Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks.
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:54 PM

Did you try giving full control of the drive to the guest, Right click the drive you want to share> select Properties> Sharing and security Tab and click on the permissions button> click the Add button> and type "guest" then press ok> set the permissions of guest to full control(for now just for test) then see if you can access the drive maybe by mapping the drive to the other computer
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:34 AM

Actually, I have Simple File Sharing enabled on both PCs, so I don't have a "Permissions" button. Just a checkbox for allowing/denying write access to the shared drive/folder. Strange thing, though. I went back into my C: drive's Sharing properties, unchecked the "Shared" box, then rechecked it, and hit "Apply." It took quite a few minutes as it re-scanned the entire drive and, presumably, set access levels for all files & folders. When it was done, everything worked smoothly. Wish I knew why it didn't work the day before and all those months earlier!

Last edited by SturmWork; July 21st, 2004 at 03:40 AM.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:47 AM

Excellent job!