Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Upgrading System and Need Advice

I found a desktop computer in the industrial bin at my boarding school and I have decided to upgrade it, mainly for gaming. At the moment it has and ASUS P4GE VM motherboard (specs can be found here) and a 32mb graphics card, 256mb of RAM as well as an Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz CPU. This motherboard only supports DDR SDRAM and AGP x4 graphics cards. I was thinking of either:

Buying two sticks of this RAM and getting this graphics card to put into the existing ASUS motherboard

OR

Getting this pack of RAM, this graphics card and this heat sink to put into this motherboard (that I would also purchase).

The main reason for upgrading the motherboard would be DDR2 RAM and PCI Express Slot/s for graphics card/s. In the future I am looking to add a DVD burner and a second hard drive to the setup. As I said earlier this is going to be mainly a gaming PC it will also be used for word processing and web surfing. The game I really want to play is Oblivion (with the expansions) but Unreal Tournament 2004 would be great as well. Obviously I live in Australia and I have bought products from I-Tech before and think it is a great site. I am particularly worried about the graphics card and heat sink that I am considering if a new motherboard is the way to go, specifically I am worried about the graphics card being crap and the heat sink not fitting the new motherboard. If there are better parts for my proposed setup available on I-Tech for around the same price I would love to know. Any advice at all would be great!
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Hmm, did you read the whole post? Or are you just trying to get your post count up?