Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 95

Notices

Windows 95 Problem solving for the Windows 95 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 5th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Unhappy D: is not accessible, device is not ready?

i am trying to fix my old pc since my laptop went for repairs and i using this one again. i am having the common problem of D: is not accesible. device is not ready error message when i click on the D drive. when i insert a cd it spins and green light goes on. a while back i did play a music cd. can someone offer some advice that they know has worked for windows 95. i have a compaq presario 2120. let me know if you need additional info.

thanks so much, would appreciate your help.
lisa
Old April 5th, 2003, 01:15 PM

I would suspect that the "Read" portion of the drive is no longer working. You could try using a CD-ROM cleaner disk that has a small brush on it for cleaning the laser lens and if that doesn't work, I'd get a new CD drive. CD-ROMs are very inexpensive these days - almost as cheap as a floppy drive, and if you need any help in its installation, just post.