Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:15 PM

PC Power Supply and Memory Upgrade Questions

Hello...Here are my specs for my PC:

Dell 8250 3.06 P4 HT w/ 533 Mhz
128 MB ATI Radeon 9700
2 120 GB HardDrives (upgraded and add the second HD a few months ago)
512 MB RAM

To the questions...this computer is approximately five years old now. During its lifetime is has probably been one of the loudest computers I've ever been around, whether its in a computer desk, near a wall, or sitting in the middle of the room. I did some very close listening and narrowed down the noise to the power supply, which believe it or not, gets quite loud even when I'm visiting a website that contains flash animation.

I did some research and found this website that sells better power supplies than the ones that come stock with my particular PC.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/view...php?show=S41D2

I was wondering if anyone could look at this and give me a quick assessment of it? What would be even better is if anyone knew of the best place to find a better PSU. I'm really wanting to try and reduce the overall noise this computer makes. Further, I'd like the power supply to be capable to handle future upgrades to the system.

Which brings me to the second question...memory...the only memory I have found online to upgrade my system is over $500. Thats crazy! Anyone know if I can even upgrade my memory for something a little more economical price?

Thanks!
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

RDIMM also known as RAMBUS memory isn't being used in computers anymore. And this is why it so expensive other than the fact you have to install them in pairs. Dell says your computer uses PC1066 with a maximum of 1.5GB because of your FSB (533Mhz). And as hard as it is to find this type of memory, it would probably be cheaper to get a new computer.

This memory supplier seems to have what you need, I've never bought memory from them as I always use Crucial or Kingston memory, so take care when or if you decide to order from them:

http://www.memoryx.net/pc1066nonecc.html

And as far as power supplies, you'd have to open the computer and check inside what type of power supply this is, whether a new one would be compatible with your computer.
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
[I see Photolady got in ahead of me with a full explanation of RDRAM.]
First, PC Power & Cooling has a good reputation; I think your power supply suggestion is fine. If you want to be absolutely sure of compatibility, call them or e-mail tech support.
I found (possibly) brand X memory specified for your computer here. 2X256 MB are listed at $250. I concur with Photolady--your computer is 5 years old. It's likely not worth putting that much money in. BTW, Crucial and Kingston don't even list memory for your computer.
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:56 PM

Thank you for the reponses...I didn't know RDRAM was no longer used.

Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to try a new power supply for quieter functioning (if I want it that badly), but don't waste the money upgrading the memory. Thanks for the help!
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

As long as you're not editing videos, or playing graphic instense games, 512mb of memory should be enough. I used this amount for years before upgrading because mostly what I did before was photos, email, and websurfing.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:57 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Go to www.rambus.com and read their Q&A section on RDRAM. It clears up a number of questions re compatability. I purchased 1 Gb. (2 x 512) of RDRAM from onetouch2004@gmail.com in Dec. for $264.65. This was brand new Samsung in factory sealed anitstatic bag. While not cheap this is less than half the price at most online stores.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM

Thanks palburke...that actually led me to a website that gave me the specifics for the memory in my system:

Freq: 800 MHz
PINS: 184
Voltage: 40ns
Density: 64Mx64

I found this match through PriceWatch:

http://www.upgrade-solution.com/deta...ID=413&add=yes

Based on the age of my system, what is everyone's thoughts on upgrading the memory to 1GB? Would you still recommend holding out for a new system?
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM

Including your power supply upgrade, you're talking about spending ~$350. Last Thursday someone posted on Slickdeals a Dell Dimension E521 for $529. If it were me, I'd save up a few more pennies and go for the new system.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Including your power supply upgrade, you're talking about spending ~$350. Last Thursday someone posted on Slickdeals a Dell Dimension E521 for $529. If it were me, I'd save up a few more pennies and go for the new system.
You make a valid point...the value of my computer now is probably less than I would be putting into it. If I remember correctly, the statistic is that computers after 5 years are obselete.

I do some heavy graphics and programming work, and play the occasional Crysis or UT04. I'd like to get a system this time around that isn't limited to upgrading and doesn't cut any corners. Is Falcon Northwest a good choice?
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnet View Post
Is Falcon Northwest a good choice?
Seems to me that I've read a couple of good reviews on Falcon. They're known for gaming computers, which should mean their computers will handle your heavy graphics work. If you don't mind doing a bit of extra research, contact them and ask how much faster processor and how much more memory you can add when it comes time to upgrade. Or you can ask what brand/model motherboard they put in their computer and check yourself.