Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:28 AM

Sony Vaio Power Supply Upgrade: Possible?

Hello everyone, I just purchased a Geforce 7600 GT which has a minimum requirement of 400W of power, and I opened up my Sony Vaio case and was disappointed to find my computer only has about 300W of power. The problem is that Sony has a proprietary power supply, which seems to be skinnier than normal ATX power supplies.

I was wondering, could I buy a mini-ATX or something else besides a Sony brand power supply in order to get 450W or above? The Sony power supplies I was able to find are all under 300W, and I assume that the ones that are about 400W or above will be much more expensive than the $20 for which I can buy a 500W ATX power supply on eBay. I read that Antec power supplies MAY fit some Vaios, I do not know if this is the case with mine.

My Sony Vaio: RS720G

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me find a way to upgrade my power supply. Thanks!
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:21 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Find the dimensions of the PSU and then try find a PSU that has the same.
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Seems like a good idea, I already see a few mini-ATX ones on eBay that come close to my dimensions. While the sellers on eBay may list the PSU dimensions, are there any other sites which do list PSU dimensions?

And if the worst happens and I can't find a PSU upgrade, would it be safe to run a Graphics Card which requires a 300W PSU while mine has 295W? All I have added is a wireless mouse and keyboard and the mouse has it's own batteries.
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:33 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
On PSU manufacturer websites they usually have the dimensions for their PSU's. And just a word of warning, Go for a known brand name PSU. Something like OCZ, Antec, Enermax, ThermalTake. No named, or budget brands tend not to last and when they go down, take your whole system down with them.
Worst happens, I would say go out and possibly buy a new case that will hold a standard PSU. 300W is the minimum. In my opinion I doub't it would run stable. But it can happen, and iv been proven wrong before.
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:48 AM

I measured my power supply: 16cm(W), 8.9cm(H), 10cm(D)

And I spent most of today searching for a suitable PSU, I checked many many different well-known/recommended companies (including all the ones in the above post), and the only PSU's that fit mine were all under 400W. I simply can't find any above 400W which match my PSU.

The only thing I have found above 400W which fit are micro and mini ATX sizes, but I am not sure they are compatible with my (Sony) ATX.

Suppliers I have checked:
Aerocool
Antec
Coolmax
Delta (This is the company that made my current PSU)
Enermax
Fortron
FSP
OCZ
PC Power & Cooling
Seasonics
Sparkle
Silverstone
Sunbeam
Sythe
Tagan
Thermaltake
TTGI (Super Flower)
Zippy

Is there anywhere else I can look besides hoping to find a Sony PSU on ebay?

Last edited by Des12; November 27th, 2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM

Since I have not found a suitable power supply that will currently fit my case, I could either buy a really old graphics card that has a minimum requirement of 250 W (Do PCI-E cards even go that low ) or remove/saw off the power supply rails which hold the power supply up and just rely on 4 newly drilled holes with screws to support it. My computer currently has a warranty with Best Buy, would doing the latter to the computer void my warranty?