Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 2nd, 2022, 09:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

Can Updater's Search location be adjusted

Is it possible to alter Vista's updater to search a computer folder instead of MS.

I know that Microsoft no longer provides updates to Vista so at the moment I am downloading files from the update catalogue then introduced by activating them one at a time (grinding work).

So I just wonder if it was possible to change or add a search location to ease this problem in its registry.

Thanks for any help

David
Old June 3rd, 2022, 04:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
What are you searching for updates?? Obviously using Windows update in Vista probably no longer works or it does not find anything. Don't understand what you are trying to do.

If you go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs

In the Left pane you should see something about seeing Windows updates installed?? Don't remember, but that will show you all the updates installed.

By default Windows updates are kept;

C:windowssoftware\distributiondownloads
Old June 3rd, 2022, 07:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

As far as I am aware Vista can no longer access updates server being switched off by Microsoft.

I have not seen much of Vista myself having been killed off by Intel saying that they would not put it on their computers because it took up space and was slower in working than XP.

I have had a few crippled to look at wrecked by trojans and virus issues akin to XP's suffering, hence Windows 7 file changes.
I got this little laptop with Vista that had suffered from removal of personal data and programs leaving windows with file gaps which I was unable to solve.

It meant a full reload of windows, and as its drive was stupidly small thought I would do it for interest plus have a drive with update files if needed for any other system. As you can imagine Vista with SP1 is very internet thick as it lacked modern security settings etc.
driver problems added to some issues.

I kept downloading updates from page 14 and so far now down to 6 and has now become responsive and gets on the internet having loaded IE9 along with some security settings.
Now I thought because updater goes to a defunct server just thought I could direct it to a folder with update files in it.

Just wondered if some registry change could work?

Many thanks from David