Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 25th, 2003, 05:58 AM

New Installation help

Tommorow, I'm going to install windows on a new hard drive. It will be a 160 gb drive which will actually be 2 80gbs in a Striping RAID configuration. I only have an ME installation cd and a Windows XP upgrade cd.

What is the best way to install it? Can I just transfer the stuff from my old hard drive, and how would I do that? Should I just do a clean install on the new hard drive?

Also, will i need to download all the drivers for my Sound Card, 3d card, cdrw drive, or is there any way to take all that from this hard drive, burn it onto a cd, and then install them on the new hard drive?

Stride
Old December 25th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Take a look here
http://www.warp2search.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488
and through google I found the folllowing:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
Old December 25th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Iwould just a clean install on my new hdd this can be done by installing from your i386 files have your me disk handy as window's will ask for it you just put it in your cdrom drive it will read it then ask you for your xp cd and finish your instulation

as for your files just put your old hdd on your 2nd ide connection windows will see it as the next drive according to how you have your partition's setup

raid 0 should not make any difference as it is not really raid all it does is improve your i/o preformance it is not fault tolerant

once you get your old hdd set as a slave drive you can copy your files any where you want to

>cody
Old December 25th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Thanks, its just, I have a major problem now. The dell motherboard that Dell had said would work in any ATX case doesn't look like it will work in the case i bought. The mobo is on a metal slider thing, and I don't see how I can connect that to the case. Also, in the back of the motherboard, where you have the usb slots, mouse and printer things and all that, the mobo's 3 sound ports are vertical, while the holes for them are horizontal. Why is this happening, isn't everything supposed to be standard?
Old December 25th, 2003, 07:24 PM

are you sure it is an atx case
>cody
Old December 25th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Yeah, its this one.

the X-Alien. It sure seems ATX to me... am i wrong?Aspire X-Alien
Old December 25th, 2003, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by striderider
Yeah, its this one.

the X-Alien. It sure seems ATX to me... am i wrong?Aspire X-Alien

you are rite it is atx if you have atx board it should fit the only thing i can think of is dell has a prioraty board dont really know i see them all the time but can't recall anybody wanting to change cases now that i think about it i dont think your powersupply in new case will work as dell has a prioraty ps

dell is better than most but all name brand computers are throwaway when the technoligy passes them by , they really want you to order a new dell and give that one to your kid's
Old December 25th, 2003, 09:24 PM

Hahaha yeah... good point, if I had kids

I'm going to baltimore tommorow and I think they have a CompUSA store there. I'm gonna get a new motherboard. Now the question is...

Should I get another one that goes with RDRAM since i already have invested 640mb worth of money in RDRAM.

or

Should I get a new one that uses DDR ram since that is obviously where the future lies.

Andy
Old December 25th, 2003, 09:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
That will be up to you. IMO rdram is dying technology - also expensive. Click here for an interesting article on the subject.
Old December 25th, 2003, 09:46 PM

i am asumeing you mean sdram ,that would be a mater of choice i still use sdram but most of my board's will only accept that i sure am not going to invest a lot of money in newer technoligy that i dont feel i need
i saved back some old board's that dont have any onboard stuff ie sound and video and i find i getalong with them better, now with all that said that is strickely my opinion for me and what i do

as for you it is hard to tell someone how they run thier computer , but you will probabely have to go to ddr because you probabely wont be able to find a board that support's sdram

all the new system's i build are ddr because every body want' the newest technoligy and i sure don't blame them
>cody