Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 6th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Disk drive problem?

My problem is as follows. The machine has recently been freezing and/or turning itself off. Sometimes when it freezes after about 20 seconds it will start again, but then freeze and so on. Other times it locks up not responding to any key or mouse movement. The only way to restart is to remove the power supply.

It also freezes when booting up or just switches it's self off during the boot up sequence. The machine did until yesterday boot up in safe mode with out a problem, but now both of the above is happening when in safe mode.

I've run malaware software and its appears to be clean. I'm fearing this may be a hard disc failure of some sort.
Old July 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy and welcome to CTH:

If you know the make of the harddrive, go to the manufacturers website and download their diagnostic tools. Run that and see what it says about your hdd.

Also, when was the last time you cleaned out the system (laptop or desktop?) for dust?

Murray