Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Is my Vista 32-bit or IE having scripting issues? *Images included*

Hello,

I originally posted this message in the Internet / Browsers forum, but it has been five days and I have not received one reply. I am not sure as to whether no one has gotten around to helping me, if I forgot to include some vital information, or if no one there can offer any suggestions. I apologize if this is considered a double-post. I am simply hoping for any answers or suggestions. However, if this does no belong here, may it be forwarded to where I can receive the proper help.

For the last couple months I had an issue with Internet Explorer where almost half the time any website I entered to view would be redirected by slirsredirect.search.aol.com. I browsed this forum and found someone with a similar problem and although they never replied to advice the Tech Support as to whether or not it worked, I went ahead and used some IEXrepair. Unfortunately, the problem continued to pursue.

What I then decided to do is to open up IE, click Tools, Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and I hit Reset in order to reset IE to its default conditions -- well, I seem to have dug myself a deeper hole. Since then, everything has been wonky with me. For starters, when I wish to see a YouTube video, there is no box or message for where the video should display. Instead, there's about 1" [in height] of white space between the title of the video and the part where you could rate the video. So I figured, OK, I guess I have to reinstall, Adobe Flashplayer.

So I go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and hit the "Agree and install now" button. The problem is that nothing pops up! There is an image on the next page that suggests an info bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: 'Adobe Flash Player' from 'Adobe'. Click here to install..." should display, but it does not.

For Internet Explorer, I went into Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, and clicked Custom Level. Here is what it reads:

Active Scripting
• Enabled

Allow Programmatic Clipboard Access
• Prompt

Allow Status Bar Updates via Script
• Disable

Allow Websites to Prompt for Information Using Scripted Windows
• Disable

Enable XSS Filter
• Enabled

Scripting of Java Applets
• Enabled

I even went ahead and downloaded Internet Explorer 8 RC1, but the problem has not yet been resolved. Frustrated with IE, I decided to sign onto Yahoo! Messenger and pass the time chatting with some friends, but I guess what I had done had effected Messenger too, because I cannot see any messages I have sent, any incoming messages, and I cannot view the messages in my Message Archive. I updated to Yahoo! Messenger 9, but to no avail. I believe whatever is wrong with my IE is tied to my Yahoo! Messenger too, because Messenger was fine earlier in the day until I had decided to Restart IE to its default, which was before upgrated to IE 8 RC1, but that did not change anything.

When I use the Cyber Tech Help forums on AOL or IE at home, I do not have access to any HTML coding (unless I type it in by hand) and I cannot click to insert smilies into my post, but I can see them on the right hand side.

Below are some visuals in hopes of providing more detail into what is happening.

This is an image of what happens on YouTube when viewed through IE or AOL. YouTube seems to only work on my Safari browser. Obviously, the message telling me I have JavaScript off or need to install Flash Player is not displaying, neither is a box or image representing where the video should be.

This is an image of my Yahoo! Message Archive. You could see that the purple highlight represents a conversation with a user that I had on a specific date. The conversation is selected, but not displaying. The same goes for when I send a message or when someone writes to me as previously mentioned, I cannot see what I write to them or what they write to me.

This is something I had just noticed while surfing Friendster. Not only does the number of the image out of total images display as X, but when I try to click the Prev. (<<) or Next (>>) buttons, nothing happens. You could see a little gray stroke around the << button, but when I click it, I do not see the previous picture.

This is something I had just noticed too that I had not mentioned previously. When I highlight my AOL mail to view my recent messages, a blank window pops up and after I hit "OK" twice, the drop down window for the mail shows, but my messages do not -- they DO display though once I click the mailbox. I am also having trouble sending Instant Messages, because that blank window pops up and then AOL tells me to close some programs and that my harddrive space is low when in fact I have 158 GB free of 222 GB.

Please advise if the images do not appear. Whatever is happening, it is effecting more than one program. I had not signed onto MSN to see whether or not my conversations there display. I hope that I am clear with my words. Any and all help is appreciated, but I hope that a true solution is not far away and that it may be simple. Thank you for your time! I will be more than happy to provide any more information if necessary in helping me.
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi EmanResu. Your original problem was caused by an AOL toolbar however the reset would probably have disabled it. Are you still being redirected?

I would like you to post a log please. Go here and download and run Trend Micro Hijack This. Click on Scan and Save log and post it here please.
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Hello, AnnMarie:

Thank you for a speedy reply! I believe that you are correct -- the redirecting by slirsredirect.search.aol.com to a "page cannot be found" when I simply wanted to go to www.google.com seemed to have been caused by the AOL toolbar. However, that issue appears to have stopped once I reset IE. I only wish that I had uninstalled the toolbar rather than had reset my IE since my problem seemed to have worsened.

As explained, I can no longer view videos on YouTube in IE and AOL, I seem to have no access to HTML functions on IE and AOL, and I cannot view messages on Yahoo. I can however view messages on Windows Live Messenger, I tried it this morning. Whatever the problem is, it seems to be effecting IE, AOL, and Yahoo Messenger.

Either way, here is the log you asked for. I hope that I had done this correctly.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:21:09 AM, on 2/7/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18372)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAAnotif.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\CCU\CCU_TrayIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\IntelDH\NMS\Support\IntelHCTAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\aol\1179273726\ee\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe
C:\Windows\sttray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\AOL 9.1\waol.exe
C:\Program Files\Safari\Safari.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\CCU\CCU_Engine.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msc\mcuimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LQCVFX\COCIManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\AOL 9.1\shellmon.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...ch/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/.../www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/.../www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...ch/search.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/.../www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/.../www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: McAntiPhishingBHO - {377C180E-6F0E-4D4C-980F-F45BD3D40CF4} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msk\mcapbho.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AOL Toolbar Launcher - {7C554162-8CB7-45A4-B8F4-8EA1C75885F9} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 5.0\aoltb.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\YTSingl eInstance.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 5.0\aoltb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CCUTRAYICON] C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\CCU\CCU_TrayIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NMSSupport] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\IntelDH\NMS\Support\IntelHCTAgent.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ECenter] c:\dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrojanScanner] C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\Trjscan.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1179273726\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechQuickCamRibbon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\QuickCam\Quickcam.exe" /hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Fast Start] "C:\Program Files\AOL 9.1\AOL.EXE" -b
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {3369AF0D-62E9-4bda-8103-B4C75499B578} - C:\Program Files\AOL\AOL Toolbar 5.0\aoltb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {09F1ADAC-76D8-4D0F-99A5-5C907DADB988} - http://cdn.downloadcontrol.com/files...eBHInstall.cab
O16 - DPF: {D71F9A27-723E-4B8B-B428-B725E47CBA3E} (Imikimi_activex_plugin Control) - http://imikimi.com/download/imikimi_plugin_0.5.1.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Alert Service (AlertService) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\CCU\AlertService.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: DQLWinService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\IntelDH\NMS\AdpPlugins\DQLWinService.e xe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: GoogleDesktopManager - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopManager.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Software Services Manager (ISSM) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel Media Server\Media Server\bin\ISSM.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Viiv(TM) Media Server (M1 Server) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel Media Server\Media Server\bin\mediaserver.exe
O23 - Service: McciCMService - Motive Communications, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Application Tracker (MCLServiceATL) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel Media Server\Shells\MCLServiceATL.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Remoting Service (Remote UI Service) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel Media Server\Shells\Remote UI Service.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: TeamViewer 3 (TeamViewer) - TeamViewer GmbH - C:\Program Files\TeamViewer3\TeamViewer_Service.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 13049 bytes
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM
CTH Subscriber

I see that you still have the beta version of IE installed. A quick fix might be to uninstall IE8, reboot and run System Restore and restore to a date before the problem occurred. Once you have done this, uninstall AOL Toolbar 5.0, reboot again and with a bit of luck, your problem will be resolved.

See here for help using system restore if you need it.
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Hello, AnnMarie:

worst case scenario (ok, so it's a reality), I uninstalled the beta of IE. I went to the system restore and was nervous to see when I had clicked "Choose a restore point" and clicked "Show restore points older than 5 days," the earliest restore point appears to be on the eve of when I began to receive these errors (1/31/2009 7:55:13 PM).

Being optimistic, I went ahead and used that restore point, but my issues are still present--if only I had one older restore point or known to use System Restore before about four installations 2/1, one on 2/3, two on 2/4, etc.

I do not know if I should still go ahead and remove AOL toolbar 5.0 or if we should proceed with option B (hoping there is one). Maybe I am not having a Javascript error, but maybe something else? I am not sure. I was browsing the forums to see if someone has had a similar problem to mines. I came across http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml and went to the webpage on IE. Only thing it says is that I am "...using an older version of JRE. You can download the latest version from the Java Software Download link above." Surprisingly, I can see the dancing duke though.

If it helps any, while on IE, if I press Ctrl+F on ESPN.com for instance and type in the word "football," regardless as to whether or not the word appeared 1 or 10 times on the page I am viewing, I cannot click Previous or Next, because both buttons are grayed out. Ctrl+F does work in Safari though.

I appreciate and I thank you for your continual efforts. Hopefully, we may find a solution soon.

Last edited by EmanResu; February 8th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yes go ahead and uninstall the AOL Toolbar. Reboot please and then open IE and go to Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons. Re-enable all add-ons that have been disabled and close and reopen IE. Do you still have a problem?
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:36 PM

Hello, AnnMarie:

I uninstalled the AOL 5.0 toolbar, rebooted, and enabled all the add-ons for IE that were disabled. Unfortunately, the problems pursue. I have been trying to look up solutions to these various things that occur, but I have still found no solution or reason as to why these things happen. For instance, I just noticed today as I start up my computer, AOL Instant Messenger, which is usually set to launch at start up, closes automatically; AOL Instant Messenger continues to close every time I open it.

I am thinking that the quick and easy way out of this is to reformat, even though this solution could have probably been avoided from the beginning if I had originally just uninstalled the AOL toolbar.

I will continue to check this thread throughout the coming week to see if there are any more solutions on your behalf or anyone else who may seem to have some input while I continue to do research on my behalf. My computer is still functional (thankfully), but it's distressful to be unable to use AOL and AIM, Yahoo! Messenger, and IE.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:31 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
I am thinking that the quick and easy way out of this is to reformat, even though this solution could have probably been avoided from the beginning if I had originally just uninstalled the AOL toolbar.
Although labour intensive, this might be your best option. I have reset my IE settings before and never had the problems you are having so I have to assume some corruption unrelated to the reset has occurred. You could try another reset and then re-enable the add-ons again and/or a startup repair (see here for more help) but if neither option helps, a fresh start might be the best idea.