Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Is there a website that simply has drivers for download?

I've spent my entire morning trying to get my HP Photosmart 7350 and Brother MFC 6800 hooked up to my HP Pavilion dv7 1020us notebook. In both instances, I've taken multiple routes in trying to install drivers.

I've had absolute zero luck with the Brother. Even in following the step by step, my computer still cannot print (or scan).

I met some partial luck with the 7350 by downloading a 5500 driver. If I connect it to the computer via a usb cable, it prints. However, if I try to connect to the same printer via our netword, I'm told that I need a new driver and I have NO idea where the driver is on my computer.

What I'd like to do is simply download the drivers into a folder and try making my network connections through referencing that folder. Problem is, for both, I can't locate a driver to download . . . just instructions on "how to make it work."

Help?
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
You should be able to get the drivers for the HP by following the appropriate link on this page.

Note in the instructions on that page that step #5 instructs you to select LPT1 as the port. If it's connected via USB cable, do NOT select LPT1, select USB.

For the Brother, see this page.

You must install the drivers on every computer that will use the printer, regardless of which computer the printer is actually connected to.

Install eac as a "network printer" when you get to that option in the setup wizard.

If you're going to use them across the network, once each is installed, on the machine they're connected to, you must mark them as "Shared."
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:56 AM

If I unhook the hp's usb cable from the host computer and plug that into my laptop, I can print with the hp. What I've been trying to do is simply go through the network. I can recognize the printer in the network and and even try to connect. But the connection fails when I'm told I don't have the right driver. So, I'm trying to figure out how to make it work through the network and not just the USB connection.

As for the Brother, I think that I'm screwed. Apparently, Brother hasn't bothered to provide an updated driver for that model. (Don't know why, and I'm a little surprised that others haven't figured out how.)