Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM

The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)

I have backed up my hard drive using vistas back up and restore center (big mistake). I have reinstalled vista and now wish to restore all my old files, windows has made a folder called windows old with all my docs, but i would like to restore everything off the back up dvds i made.

After i select restore all, it starts to restore the the back up then tells me the parameter is incorrect (0x80070057).

I cant find no way around this, is there any way i can recover my back up?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by roarster; January 22nd, 2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi roarster. The user here had the same problem and was eventually able to restore his files. He did have to jump through hoops to do this though so I wish you luck.

If the method posted doesnt work for you and your data is important, your best option is to contact Microsoft or failing that, post a question in the Vista Community I linked to where it may be seen by a MS Tech. It looks as though this error may be caused by a bug in the software.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM

Thank you ann marie, i have recovered all my documents, pics and music(all the important stuff) by restoring single folders. Just the program file folders all seem to be incomplete, best way i can see forward from that would be to download all my old programs.

Thanks again for the link at least i got my important stuff back, i think next time ill use a proper peice of software for back ups
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
That's good news roarster and thanks for the update.

I use Acronis True Image 11 Home and I am very pleased with it. It has saved the day on one occasion so far and works as advertised. You can download a free trial from here if you want to check it out.