Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM

Where is Netscape user profile?

I have a new laptop running Vista Premium Edition. I installed Netscape 7.2 on it because that is the browser/mail that I like. I want to manually transfer my mail, address book and bookmarks from my desktop running XP to the laptop. In XP, user profiles with all this info are stored in the Documents and Settings folder. Vista doesn't have a D&S folder but a User folder instead. When I installed Netscape on the laptop, these files were created somewhere. They aren't in the User folder. I need to know where they are so I can replace them with the files from the desktop. Can someone help me with this please. Thanks! - Bud
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi slderrick. Have a look in AccountName > Appdata > Roaming. You will see the main folder there. Open the sub folders and you should see your profile.
Old April 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Hi slderrick. Have a look in AccountName > Appdata > Roaming. You will see the main folder there. Open the sub folders and you should see your profile.
Thanks for your reply. I can't get to appdata from "Computer". It just doesn't show up. However by typing %appdata% in the run box, I can get to it. It shows desktop>username>Appdata>roaming>Netscape. The only file in the Netscape folder is registry.dat. Are other files hidden?

Bud
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM

The Netscape profile files are located in >roaming>mozilla, not in >roaming>netscape. I was able to insert the profile files from XP into the mozilla folder and everything worked just fine. My old profile, email, bookmarks, and address book are now on my laptop. I wonder why these files will not show up when doing a file search in Vista? Thanks for your help!

Bud
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Edit: Welcome!

By default, Vista only searches indexed locations, and the files you searched for are not included in your index. To change index options, go to the Start Menu's search bar and type Indexing Options and click "Indexing Options."

Last edited by Pi rules; April 15th, 2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Ah, I dont have Netscape so I wasnt aware of the second folder. Regarding not finding the files via Search, did you click on Advanced Search and check "Include non-indexed, hidden and system files"?

I am glad that all is well now Bud and you are very welcome.

*Edit* Thanks for the extra information Pi.