Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:54 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I don't really want my money back or to get rid of Vista. I just want my USB devices to work! Newegg has this disclaimer:
Quote:
Disclaimer: This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end user support for the software. http://www.microsoft.com/ oem/sblicense/default.mspx
Does that cover them?
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

Perhaps, I'm not a legal expert so I cant really say.

Quote:
The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license
Do you build and sell new PCs or servers tech_9?
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:25 AM

No I just built mine.
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:53 AM
CTH Subscriber

I appreciate your honesty tech_9 but I'm afraid that you have not complied with the terms of the System Builder license and are not eligible to use this software.

The thing is, this software is probably not suitable for your rig anyway. You would be much better off admitting your mistake and returning it for refund and purchasing the full retail version (or upgrade as you have XP). If you are a student (and something you posted made me think you are), you may be able to take advantage of a School Agreement Student Option
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
legal OEM, that is hairy...
Did you know that one could register to be a microsoft partner, building just one system?

The OEM licence, is (was.. faik) legal when one builds the system.
In other words, OEM was never intended to be an upgrade.

"retail sellers" may offer OEM. What they sell is what a small shop gets, and is is not a branded OEM, it cost more than what large "branded" OEM pay. That is the OEM one finds available.

these days, no upgrade in OEM. (your one year old machine does not qualify for the discount either)
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:47 PM

What are you guys talking about? I honestly don't care. I just wanted you to help me fix this USB problem, not tell me whether or not it is absolutely legitimate for me to be using Vista at all.

I have a hard time believing Microsoft would actually care that I bought a single OEM for home use on my computer.

Anyway, I essentially solved the problem by switching back to XP until I find someone competent enough to help me.

Thank you for causing me to lose faith entirely in this site's ability to help.

Last edited by tech_9; April 5th, 2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:26 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
What are you guys talking about? I honestly don't care. I just wanted you to help me fix this USB problem, not tell me whether or not it is absolutely legitimate for me to be using Vista at all.
Perhaps you dont care tech_9 but we do. You are using software that you have no right to use and we do not help anyone who has obtained their software fraudulently.

From our Terms of Service:

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

Topic closed.
Closed Topic